FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New to site  (Read 2171 times)

FW88

New to site
« on: May 06, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Hey everyone. I wanted to say hi. Im from the Fort Wayne area. I primarily fish Huntington , Salamonie & Hurshtown reservoir.

I went yesterday upstream from Huntington toward the Markel area with only a few small small mouth (water low but clear). Ended up driving upstream to Salamonie lost bridge and only caught a few small crappie (water low and muddy). Luckily I know a spot with wild asparagus so I didn't go home empty handed !

Hopefully will get to hurshtown this week. I only shore fish FYI.

ASM

tater140

Re: New to site
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Welcome aboard.  I fish those areas at times also.  Thanks for the report.

Daybreak

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Welcome to the site. 
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Hankfan24

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Welcome, thanks for the report.

RoeBoat

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Welcome, was upstream of Roush today, didn't like the green water!  Went South and hit the salimonie and caught crappie, white bass, drum, smallmouth, and a channel.  No big numbers, most went back.  Brought home enough for a mess.  Maybe we'll cross lines!

FW88

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Hit up hursh town this morning. Lots of small crappie 7-9 inches. That typical size unfortunately. Fish were about 9 feet deep. Didn't catch any small mouth and saw some boats bring up walleye.

I get the season pass and for 5 years I still can't figure that place out. Occasionally I get lucky with a 16+ inch walleye. I mostly lose more lures than I catch fish.

ASM

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:24 PM »
Hit up hursh town this morning. Lots of small crappie 7-9 inches. That typical size unfortunately. Fish were about 9 feet deep. Didn't catch any small mouth and saw some boats bring up walleye.

I get the season pass and for 5 years I still can't figure that place out. Occasionally I get lucky with a 16+ inch walleye. I mostly lose more lures than I catch fish.

ASM

Were they primarily white crappies?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

FW88

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07 AM »
Were they primarily white crappies?

Yes they were.

Hankfan24

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Hurshtown is a unique fishery in a few ways. First, the best trips I've had there were during the heat of the day. Second, fishing the wind blown shore is not always the best bite. Sometimes the fish do the opposite of what their supposed to be doing. Lol My best advice is to look at a depth map, and fish the dropoffs. This time of year, the fish are close to shore.

Greg2ha

• Must fish for fun!
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06 AM »
welcome to the Fort !

GT12

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:43 PM »
Welcome to the community!

indianahooker

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 07:28 PM »
hankfan, where is a topo map of hurshtown? i didnt know there were any.

taxi, be warned if there is much wind they wont let you launch.  long drive for you to find that out.

rivereddy

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Rivereddy says howdy

FW88

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 08:12 PM »
Appreciate the info ! I assumed there was no underwater structure but I'll have to look at a map.

I fish once a week. I'll try and report what I find. Next week I'll be hitting up Huntington.  I may be late for the white bass but I'll give it a go.

RoeBoat

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 08:18 PM »
The Wabash was running really green a week ago.  We went over to Lancaster and waded the salimonie and caught some base and a few other species.  Water was a little low for that area, should be better now.  They we're catching quite a few crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.