FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trailer part name/repair help  (Read 1907 times)

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Trailer part name/repair help
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Hey all,

Does anyone know what the name of the part is that sits on the inside of the wheel fender and is covered in cloth? This is a bass boat trailer and I am assuming its job is to protect the bottom of the boat from hitting the metal fender when launching and loading. My issue is that it is rusting off of the fender and now I need to figure out how to reattach it. My thought is to take one wheek off at a time, bend some sheet steel about 2" in width and weld it to the inside of the trailer. Then, retap and attache that carpeted plastic back to the steel.

Any thoughts on a quicker fix? I can take pictures if needed. I just do not want this falling off on a 200 mile trip.

Thanks in advance.
Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
Re: Trailer part name/repair help
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 10:41 AM »
Hey all,

Does anyone know what the name of the part is that sits on the inside of the wheel fender and is covered in cloth? This is a bass boat trailer and I am assuming its job is to protect the bottom of the boat from hitting the metal fender when launching and loading. My issue is that it is rusting off of the fender and now I need to figure out how to reattach it. My thought is to take one wheek off at a time, bend some sheet steel about 2" in width and weld it to the inside of the trailer. Then, retap and attache that carpeted plastic back to the steel.

Any thoughts on a quicker fix? I can take pictures if needed. I just do not want this falling off on a 200 mile trip.

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like you have the solution to fix it right.  Short term, drill a hole and thru bolt it with a carriage bolt, fender washer, and nylok nut, from under the fender?
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:54 PM »
Use these instead -

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=boat+trailer+guides&FORM=HDRSC2

I could but it still does not fix my problem. Plus, looks funky with a bass boat.

Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Here is what I am dealing with.

Wicked Wec

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 02:47 PM »
I could but it still does not fix my problem. Plus, looks funky with a bass boat.

My point was why would you need the carpeted fenders if you used the guides.
I looked at your photos and maybe even with the guides, the boat may hit the fenders.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Correct. I knew the pictures would help. I think I can jimmy rig it with washers and such. but I will have to lift the trailer and take one wheel off at a time. I may even sand some rust off and spray paint it with rust-oleum while I am in there.
Wicked Wec

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 05:05 AM »
Looks like you need new fenders..........
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 06:14 AM »
Plus, looks funky with a bass boat.

As a walleye fishermen, "all bass boats look funky."

I had the same issue with my trailer a few years ago. My brother made me new ones. Good luck...h2l

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 08:30 AM »
As a walleye fishermen, "all bass boats look funky."

I had the same issue with my trailer a few years ago. My brother made me new ones. Good luck...h2l

LOL.

If you look closely on my second picture you can see that I already have guides towards the rear of the trailer but they are low. I am going at it tonight and will post pictures once finished. Last thing I need to do. Not only did I install new seats yesterday i also epoxied the rubber strip under the latches so its nice and quiet when closing them.

Here it is all coming together -

Wicked Wec

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07 AM »
The boat is really coming along. Should be able to catch some bass with that...h2l

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 08:45 AM »
No need. I jacked up the trailer and took one wheel off at a time. I had enough solid metal to just drill through the plastic/carpet and use a washer and nut to secure it. I will rock it this way until its time to replace the whole fender. I bet I get 3-5 years with the fix I made.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.