FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Tagging Walleyes  (Read 1671 times)

Dug1898

Tagging Walleyes
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:17 AM »
I thought you guys might like seeing this unique (to me anyways) way of tagging walleyes.

A metal ring in the jaw...I think it would be a very kool trophy for any fisherman...like a duck or goose band is to a duck hunter.

Hmmm you even could locate fish with a metal detector!  ;D

There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 
Please join the NRA. They're my political voice.

taxid

Re: Tagging Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 12:25 AM »
I wonder I this tag causes the infections that spaghetti tags do?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10 AM »
DEC did it on Sacandaga back in the 70's for a few years. I caught quite a few of them. They were doing a study so info on fish, length, weight, tag number, where and when caught and if kept or released was recorded and sent into the state. Over the winter I would get a full report with info on where fish was tagged, etc.
One was caught and released twice by me, two years in a row. About a mile apart and almost 3 miles from where it was tagged. When I look at the reports that I still have, I see that the fish back then were a little bigger but maybe not as many as today. ( Or, I have become a better fishermen....lol) I do think the lake gets a lot more fishing pressure today than back then. Ice fishing really takes it toll. There has been no stocking by the state since the late 70's. Any way it was great to catch one with a tag...h2l

Never saw any side effects of the tag, other than a few had some redness where the tag was placed. The tags here didn't seem to be as wide as those in the video but I am getting older so may have forgot....lol

Dug1898

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Thanks h2l, great story, it's always great to hear that the DECs work is working. I think you should put one of those tags in your lip. Everyone who caught one should.

It could be the pierced and banded walleye lip fraternity! Lmfao at the thought of it. ;D :o ::)

I just got a new drive belt for my mower delivered...better go mow and get something done and quit joking around... 8)
There's never been a better time to Stand Up for your First and Second Ammendment Rights than right now. 

WalleyeWonder

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Very Cool :thumbup_smilie:
Jiggin' Like A Fool

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Caught many from Honeoye with tags. They had no problem inhaling red fin shiners.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Dug1898

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 05:29 PM »
I wonder if there are any still around...

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 05:35 PM »
If there is one left over from the '70s I would love to see it in the net...lol...h2l

UglyStik

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 06:05 PM »
Dug, good vid, thx.
H2L, good story, "".
Now, how can we access that telemetry info from, say, a smartphone. Hmmmm....

filetandrelease

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 06:30 PM »

Nice video Doug

rondog

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 04:13 AM »
I've caught 5 lip tagged walleyes from Otsego, I sent the info in,  I believe it was to Stanford and never got a reply. Still  a cool bonus

Bowmandan

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22 AM »
Paddlefish in the Missouri River in South Dakota have lip tags.  Collect the numbers on the tag and send the numbers to the GFP and you will receive an email about the fish.  Hopefully the same with the walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.