FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Another downrigger question  (Read 2619 times)

JDK

Re: Another downrigger question
« Reply #15 on: Aug 09, 2018, 07:03 AM »
I have had more Chamberlain "failures" while fishing for togue than anything else.  Maybe incorrectly, but always attributed it to the speed I was fishing and the general personality of those fish.  I use braid and short leads also.

6 inch salmon pop them, 6 pound togue don't always.
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #16 on: Aug 09, 2018, 08:48 AM »
I have had more Chamberlain "failures" while fishing for togue than anything else.  Maybe incorrectly, but always attributed it to the speed I was fishing and the general personality of those fish.  I use braid and short leads also.

Maybe like the common man, the togue are becoming lazier!
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

gamefisher

« Reply #17 on: Aug 09, 2018, 09:29 AM »

Have you tried playing with the vertical adjustment of the release Jay?  I lost a chamberlain this spring on a cinderblock and bought a Blacks to try for 8.95 just for the heck of it.   Much smaller to the hand but I can find no fault with the release itself.

JDK

« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Have you tried playing with the vertical adjustment of the release Jay?  I lost a chamberlain this spring on a cinderblock and bought a Blacks to try for 8.95 just for the heck of it.   Much smaller to the hand but I can find no fault with the release itself.

I've decided to target 6 inch salmon instead. 8)

I found, and need to play around more with, the adjustments is that there is a fine line between too light and too heavy.  Even braid creates a lot of drag when down 100ish feet with a bigger spoon or flatfish.  You'd think those togue would suck them in and pop it.  As stated by stguy and Turnbuckle, they seem to hit and swim with.
# SAND

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.