FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: TROLLEY LINE  (Read 1471 times)

abishop

TROLLEY LINE
« on: Jul 16, 2018, 09:40 AM »
I remember as a kid, dad would take me perch fishing off the rocks. We used a trolley line. The way this works is you throw a heavy anchor as far out as you can. Put up a long pole, than tighten up the line and attach as high on the pole as you could reach. To this you attach a trolley which was a weighted gizmo with 2 wheels that snapped onto the line. This was attached to a old bait caster black line and lowered down the anchored rope. This had a series or red beads and snelled hooks on it appx. 1 or 2 feet apart. It had about 8 hooks if I remember right. You lowered it down as close to the bottom as you could and then just hold the line to the reel and fish as you would tight line. It was quite unique cause I remember dad getting a bite, setting the hook, waiting, waiting, another bite, set the hook and continue. After a few fish he would reel in the line and take off the fish. I am telling this story cause I found the set up in the garage after a big clean up. Was wondering if anyone else had ever fished with one of these contraptions. Brings back memories.

icecleate

Re: TROLLEY LINE
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2018, 05:57 PM »
We used that system for smelt years ago. Instead of hooks we used a gill net. I have not seen it used for perch.

abishop

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2018, 07:05 PM »
We used that system for smelt years ago. Instead of hooks we used a gill net. I have not seen it used for perch.
Yes, used same for gill nets also.

abishop

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2018, 04:00 PM »
I AM QUITE SURPRISED THAT THERE ARE NO OTHER TAKERS WHO EVER USED THIS SET UP... THOUGHT IT WAS COOL.

Jig_Head

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I AM QUITE SURPRISED THAT THERE ARE NO OTHER TAKERS WHO EVER USED THIS SET UP... THOUGHT IT WAS COOL.
That does sound cool. I've never done anything like that

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2018, 07:44 PM »
I read about these from the Chicago guys but I think these are illegal in Indiana at this time.  I would like to see one in use sometime - curious.

abishop

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2018, 08:14 PM »
I read about these from the Chicago guys but I think these are illegal in Indiana at this time.  I would like to see one in use sometime - curious.
This was in the 60's , and in Indiana. Dont remember what the regs were back then. Maybe it was considered something like a trout line?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.