FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: UP Trip  (Read 1108 times)

Teacherpreacher

UP Trip
« on: Sep 15, 2018, 01:42 PM »
Just returned from a week in UP, mainly bass fishing. WARM!!! Surface temp still 69 degrees. First time in 38 years saw NO crawdads in shallows. Usually you throw a light around docks where we dock boats and there are hundreds. Not a one? Called DNR Fish Biologist and she didn't have a clue! Fish we caught were chuck full of them. But why they would move out deep before water temps drop, ?????. My buddy and I caught a grand total of 40 keeper bass and 11 Northerns. We fished hard. Did not have a strike after dark and usually that's the best time? Had 3 days of strong south wind and Wed on was 80 degrees.
That's why they call it fishing and not catching. Still had a good time!
Teach
Do all that you love, with those that you love, as often as you can.

bigr

Re: UP Trip
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2018, 03:31 AM »
Weather has changed over the years. Seems way warmer than the old days. Mid 80's for the last several days and the next several days. I'm not buying the global warming thing just think we are in a period of warmer weather. I think it gets just as cold but the seasons start at a different time. On the other end it doesn't warm up in the spring as early as it used to. In my opinion our seasons have all moved back about 6 to 8 weeks.

kfishdoctor

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2018, 09:09 AM »
I looked at photos last night of my family taken in the mid sixtys. Shorts and a tee at Easter. I can remember easter break ment warm weather and rain. Now its cool or cold, cloudy and a whole lot more rain or snow. It almost seems that there is no spring to speak of. Just winter to a mild winter in march, april and may then summer. Fall also seems to last longer. Last year I was fishing in early december up in chicago in a tee. I completely agree the seasons are different bigr. I will be happy if this weather continues, cant stand the thought of ice, snow,sleet, cold and cabin fever.

Daybreak

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2018, 10:13 AM »
My brother and I really enjoyed our trip to the UP last month.  Fished the Fortune Lake chain for the first time in 15 years.  We fished mainly for panfish and the catching did not disappoint.  We caught well over 100 fish per day, but the size has dropped way off since our last trip.  We managed to keep 15-20 for meals each day and to bring a few home, but most "keepers" were only 7-8".  I did get one 9-1/2" that went back in for the good of the cause.  I think if they would give this lake a years rest on keeping any panfish and allow them to get some growth, it would return to a respectable fishery for gills.  I know their growing season is much shorter than ours, but the overall health of the fish seemed good.  They were healthy looking, just too short.  They pike we saw caught that week were very nice.  They probably are eating all the small bluegill that are abundant in the lake.  Also, the bass we saw were like true footballs.  I always love the scenery up there and the hospitality did not disappoint either.  Great restful week of fishing, just wish the gills were a little bigger.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

fishcrazy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:37 AM »
I am so jealous. Glad you guys had a good time. Not sure if I will make it this fall or not. May try for a couple days at the end of the month but may have to live with day trips in the lower P. Any smallmouth in the mix or only largies?

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2018, 08:59 AM »
Wife and I enjoyed a bluegill camping trip to the UP in early August. Great fishing to be sure.  In addition, unlike the lower peninsula,  we never had to really search for a decent place to camp.

Spot on about the "shift" in the seasons as well.  We have a wood burner and for the last few years have put more wood in the stove in April than in November...

fish on

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.