FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: October....First Like August, Then A Taste of Winter  (Read 1933 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
October....First Like August, Then A Taste of Winter
« on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:13 AM »
A crazy month weather-wise.  The first half had temperatures as warm the 80's, and second half featured a number of days with snow.  On the whole, the month averaged 3 degrees below average...which took a lot of late month cold to more than offset the balmy start.  At month's end, water temps had fallen to levels more typical of late November.  Made the fishing interesting....a little something for everyone ;D

The warm start allowed for variety-pack outings.  One particularly memorable day was a 7 species trek from Franklin County to tidewater.  Here are a few highlights, closing out with a white catfish in the dark.....big time fun on light fly or spin gear ;)

The weather shifted gears around mid-month.  I struggled for 1 small salmon on this wet morning.

A squall line, which ended with snow flurries, blasted through toward dark.  Getting pounded by Mother Nature is fine with me when a batch of dark brookies like these turn on.

For the rest of the month, my fishing fortunes stayed bright as the fish colored up more with each day.

This one was particularly memorable since it took a fly tied for me by a close family friend who fought on Iwo Jima and left us 2 years back.

Chased a few splake per my usual fall M.O.  You can track their changing colors as the month went by.

This real gray one came early in the month on a spoon I cast off a drop and was counting down in 25 feet of water.

By mid-month, they had brightened up quite a bit.

And on Halloween, they had moved quite shallow and dressed up nicely for the occasion.

Browns, particularly sizable ones, continued to be aloof.  Fresh stockies cooperated.  I also picked up a few holdovers, not giants, but not hard on the eyes either.

It's always fun to go back over the scenery shots.

Early colors, low water.

Going in after them, as leaves dropped and flows bumped.

And knowing when it was time to ditch the ride and go with foot power as accumulations went up.

November is starting out wet and may put bigger browns and salmon on the move. Here's hoping 8)

TightLinesMaine

Re: October....First Like August, Then A Taste of Winter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Wow, great stuff as always Jim.

That last male splake is SO cool looking, hopefully I can get into one of those sometime soon!  ;D

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:32 PM »
Amazing report Jim. Good selection of fish. Here’s to a good November!!
Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Swampking89

« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:38 PM »
Great post as usual.nice job Jim and some great pics!!

zwiggles

« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2018, 12:58 PM »
Awesome report & pictures!

I feel like your friend helped to guide that beautiful brookie to his fly. Sorry for your loss, but it is neat how you still get to fish with him in a sense.

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Thanks. It was an emotional experience.  I had something similar years back when I caught a salmon in a blizzard at dark on a fly tied by my grandfather.  My only hit all day.   I put flies like that in a "retired" box.....don't want to lose them.

I feel like your friend helped to guide that beautiful brook ie to his fly. Sorry for your loss, but it is neat how you still get to fish with him in a sense.

lowaccord66

« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Thanks for posting and sorry for your loss. 

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Great pics as always Jim.

franklin fisher

« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Great job Jim. I ways love your reports. The different species this month is a special treat. I personally haven't seen a White Catfish before. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim C.

« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2018, 10:14 AM »
Multi-species is always a kick for me.  It's even more true when I ice fish.

White catfish are a treat in the fall.  I don't think many other people target them.  I got one that dwarfed the one in my post....but I forgot the camera that night :P

Great job Jim. I ways love your reports. The different species this month is a special treat. I personally haven't seen a White Catfish before. Thanks for sharing it.

fish wayniac

« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2018, 04:36 PM »
Jim, I look forward to your post with your beautiful fish and scenery. The last time I fished was the salt and only caught pollack and 1 mackerel.I missed 2 stripers. The next time I fish will be through the ice. Mean while I will enjoy your fish pic’s .

Jim C.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Thanks, Wayne. If your ice season is anything like last year, you'll have great pics that I look forward to seeing on the Shanty 8)

Jim, I look forward to your post with your beautiful fish and scenery. The last time I fished was the salt and only caught pollack and 1 mackerel.I missed 2 stripers. The next time I fish will be through the ice. Mean while I will enjoy your fish pic’s .

caught_the_fever

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Jim - great work as always, I can only hope to possess a fraction of your knowledge/skill one day! 

Great story about the fly tied by your friend; and sorry for your loss.  I can only imagine the feelings tying that fly to your leader and then having it hit.  A retirement box is more than fitting!  Would love to see/hear those stories some day.

My grandfather was a sniper with the 4th Division Marines at Iwo Jima; like too many, more than earned his purple heart with 4 bullet wounds and bomb shrapnel too close to his spine to remove.  He was nearly left for dead until another soldier heard his faint prayers who carried him to safety; a mystery man, likely a boy at the time, our family has been unable to thank.  My grandfather was told he'd likely not have a long life nor ever walk again but after 1 year away from his family lying flat in a hospital bed he walked out of that facility wearing braces.  He saw his children have children and that brought him more pleasure than one can imagine following that diagnosis and he inspired the love of the Maine outdoors within the family.  Unfortunately, the doctors were right about his longevity, passing at 61, but at his Northeast Carry hunting camp where he told my grandmother if he were to pass there know he died at peace at his heaven on earth.   

Thanks to all of our vets reading this post; know that for many, the appreciation extends well beyond Veterans Day alone.  (sorry Jim, I feel like I hijacked your post but your tribute to your friend inspired me)

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2018, 03:17 PM »
You didn't hijack my post, Mike.  You ADDED to it.  Thanks for sharing your grandfather's story  :flag:

Jim - great work as always, I can only hope to possess a fraction of your knowledge/skill one day! 

Great story about the fly tied by your friend; and sorry for your loss.  I can only imagine the feelings tying that fly to your leader and then having it hit.  A retirement box is more than fitting!  Would love to see/hear those stories some day.

My grandfather was a sniper with the 4th Division Marines at Iwo Jima; like too many, more than earned his purple heart with 4 bullet wounds and bomb shrapnel too close to his spine to remove.  He was nearly left for dead until another soldier heard his faint prayers who carried him to safety; a mystery man, likely a boy at the time, our family has been unable to thank.  My grandfather was told he'd likely not have a long life nor ever walk again but after 1 year away from his family lying flat in a hospital bed he walked out of that facility wearing braces.  He saw his children have children and that brought him more pleasure than one can imagine following that diagnosis and he inspired the love of the Maine outdoors within the family.  Unfortunately, the doctors were right about his longevity, passing at 61, but at his Northeast Carry hunting camp where he told my grandmother if he were to pass there know he died at peace at his heaven on earth.   

Thanks to all of our vets reading this post; know that for many, the appreciation extends well beyond Veterans Day alone.  (sorry Jim, I feel like I hijacked your post but your tribute to your friend inspired me)

Stickbait

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Great read ! And that’s quite the smorgasbord ya got there!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.