FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First hat trick  (Read 2260 times)

seamonkey84

First hat trick
« on: Nov 03, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Well it’s been a couple weeks since I’ve been out, and a while since I’ve had a good day of catching. So despite the rain, my buddy and I headed out at sunrise to go after some trout. We started by trolling around, checking different depths and not marking much. After a full lap around the “pond” , we decided to do some casting as that was part of the game plan anyway. It wasn’t long until we started getting bites at our lures. We both ended the day with catching multiple brookies, and a brown and bow each!
I don’t have all the pics, but here is some of mine for the trifecta!  This is also only my second brown out of a pond/lake, the first was the only one I’ve caught ice fishing.

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
Re: First hat trick
« Reply #1 on: Nov 03, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Congrats on a great day! 8)

zwiggles

« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2018, 02:45 PM »
Nice job! Casting for them must have been fun too.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Nice fish...h2l

fishin4eyes

« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Beautiful brookie! Congrats

franklin fisher

« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2018, 05:24 AM »
Nice ones. Way to tough it out in the rain.

Swampking89

« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Nice hatty man!! That brookie is a pig!!

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2018, 09:54 AM »
I much prefer casting vs trolling, yes you cover more water trolling, but it’s just not as much fun. Then if your trolling and want to stop and cast, gotta pull up the sinking line and leadcore first. Now that the surface temps are low, I might be able to get away with flat lineing one rod with a floating/suspending crank bait, and not worry about it if I want to stop and make a couple casts. With the clear weather today, I hope to do a repeat this afternoon and try with the fly rod this time, the tip of the fly rod broke that trip.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2018, 10:43 PM »
Well I didn’t get one on the fly rod, nor did I achieve another hat trick. Though I did manage a bow and a brown in the couple hours we had to fish (I hate daylight savings). I got to bring Tightlinesmaine out today as well, though he got there a few mins before me and started without me  ;D. I got there just in time to see him set the hook and net a fish. Funny how that’s the second time it’s happened, once when I randomly bumped into him on a river.
Here’s the bow I caught, didn’t get one of the brown as it was getting a bit dark and I wanted to get back to casting (although I didn’t realize the line snapped as I was unhooking the fish).

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2018, 08:57 AM »
Nice pics Chi, fun time yesterday! I bet we'd have caught more fish if you didn't bring your electronics ironically!  :laugh:  ;)  You knew right where they were too!

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2018, 09:38 AM »
Nice fish! Love he colors on that male brook trout!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I love fall colors, even for stocked fish they are well colored and thick. These are ones my friend caught that same day.

fish wayniac

« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2018, 04:27 PM »
Chi , Some nice looking trout you guys caught.

seamonkey84

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2018, 11:23 PM »
Chi , Some nice looking trout you guys caught.
Thanks, they were nice to get into for sure after some down time. Of course We were hopping for one of the big ones that we know are in there  :laugh:  I’m pretty sure I saw some of the bruisers on my sonar, but couldn’t get the cast lined up right or they just weren’t biting.

caught_the_fever

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2018, 12:57 PM »
A nice day's work!  Beautiful fish.  Congrats on your first brown in a pond - I've yet to have one on the other end of my line but generally haven't targeted cold water species much during open water and primarily ice fish for salmon and brookies. 

I agree with you re: casting vs. trolling.  I prefer to be more active than passive in most things, including fishing. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.