FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Upper Wabash Lake Report  (Read 1977 times)

basshead

Upper Wabash Lake Report
« on: Oct 25, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Now that Chicago does the Upper Wabash Lake Report do they not post Saturday and Sundays lake levels?

Daybreak

Re: Upper Wabash Lake Report
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:06 AM »
I'm not sure about the weekend question you asked, but I did read the article where control and monitoring of the Upper Wabash reservoirs was moved from the Louisville district to the Chicago district of the Army Corp. of Engineers.  I had to change my website favorite to make it faster to get results.  I did notice yesterday when I tried checking in on levels, it said the server was down.  Looks like they have started Salamonie drawdown (about 9' down) and have opened the gates a little to keep Mississinewa at current summer pool.  Interesting how they manage the flow on those 3 reservoirs  to keep from flooding downstream.  Fishogger is spot on regarding flow and rising/falling levels effecting fishing results on these reservoirs.  This is true for the lake and even more so for the outflow on the river below the dam.  Hopefully, this is just a one time glitch this weekend and the results will be back on schedule from here on out.  I may have to see if I can find the USGS page fishogger is talking about.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

rivereddy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:10 AM »
10/25/2020 (today)  Just checked USGS sites and all appeared to be normal...

fish on,

rivereddy

basshead

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Thanks for the info, must of been typing in wrong site it work when I typed in USGS.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2020, 09:28 AM »

Here is the link to the USGS stations for Indiana and surrounding areas.  Some stations give more information than others and
some are predictive while others only give real time

https://water.weather.gov/ahps/region.php?state=in

fish on

rivereddy

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:05 AM »
Search upper Wabash-Daily lake report. Then click usace.army.mil/mission/water. That will give you all you need to know on all three resi's. Knowing how to read then understand the effects of the numbers are the best tools you'll to use along with wind and barometer. Draw down levels which is what we're in right now and especially during ice fishing conditions when the discharge can really effect the fishing. I always check site before making the trip to any of the resi's. Save you a lot of miles.   

gilldan

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was just getting ready to ask if anyone knew where the report went too.  I've been searching for it when I have the time.  Thanks

Daybreak

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2020, 08:52 PM »
I see Mississinewa is down to 723 level.  Just about 10' to go to get to winter pool.  Big R had posted he usually enjoyed the best bank fishing for crappie during the last 10' of drawdown.  I don't usually bank fish, but if the weather quits blowing, I might sneak another trip in with the boat.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2020, 08:46 AM »
I see Mississinewa is down to 723 level.  Just about 10' to go to get to winter pool.  Big R had posted he usually enjoyed the best bank fishing for crappie during the last 10' of drawdown.  I don't usually bank fish, but if the weather quits blowing, I might sneak another trip in with the boat.
Not sure where your seeing that level but as of 8am this morning the missy was still 15+ft above winter pool. Sally was only 6+ft from winter pool. Both are dropping fast and that normally slows the bite. Time is getting close for the good bite. Be careful if you take boat out. Lots of shallow pts just under surface. Stay in main channel and watch depth finder. you'll also want to know the ramp you can use. Red bridge is open all winter but as the water drops the use on the others end.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.