FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Still Going..  (Read 2195 times)

Baitbucket

Still Going..
« on: Oct 06, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Hit the Q early this morning with Allan and his dad. We were able to put another 12+ in the boat.

stripernut

Re: Still Going..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2019, 09:09 PM »
Thanks for having my father and me out, always a good time! I think we would have gotten more but you and your daughter gave the fish an education the day before! The Q won't be open for much longer and we need to get out a night or two for some big bass next...

PikeKing23

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 05:52 AM »
You guys are killing me! Lol.  Went for the first time yesterday, too.  We launched out of gate 8 and fished both stream inlets, shelves that dropped from 50' to 100', the deep 100' basin, and flats from 30' to 50'.  We were drifting and dragging shiners all day.  Not 1 bite.  The only fish I marked were in 30' of water in the weed beds.  Huge lake with lots of water to choose from.  It was tough out there for us. 

Baitbucket

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:32 AM »
You guys are killing me! Lol.  Went for the first time yesterday, too.  We launched out of gate 8 and fished both stream inlets, shelves that dropped from 50' to 100', the deep 100' basin, and flats from 30' to 50'.  We were drifting and dragging shiners all day.  Not 1 bite.  The only fish I marked were in 30' of water in the weed beds.  Huge lake with lots of water to choose from.  It was tough out there for us.

We went out of gate 8 as well. Were you in a rental?

PikeKing23

« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:48 AM »
Yeah.  We started by running up the arm so we could drift back down, but the wind changed directions once we were up there. We ended up staying farther north for most of the day.  In your first pic, we were running into the fog behind you, lol.  We fished the flats and ledges on the east side.  I was using at least 6' long leaders of 10lb floro with a tiny hook to a tiny swivel and egg sinker to get down.  I thought I was being stealthy!  Guess not.   ::)  I don't think we were around much fish.  It seemed really barren where we were.

Anyways, nice job.  You guys sure make it look easy!  What depth were you finding them, if you don't mind me asking?

Baitbucket

« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2019, 07:20 AM »
Yeah.  We started by running up the arm so we could drift back down, but the wind changed directions once we were up there. We ended up staying farther north for most of the day.  In your first pic, we were running into the fog behind you, lol.  We fished the flats and ledges on the east side.  I was using at least 6' long leaders of 10lb floro with a tiny hook to a tiny swivel and egg sinker to get down.  I thought I was being stealthy!  Guess not.   ::)  I don't think we were around much fish.  It seemed really barren where we were.

Anyways, nice job.  You guys sure make it look easy!  What depth were you finding them, if you don't mind me asking?

Lakers typically arent very line shy and will eat almost anything you drop in front of them if presented correctly. I was using one of my premade 3ft 25# fluoro leaders. That way i dont have to worry about knicks in the leader. Electronics is a massive aid in learning how to present your bait. That being said, ive never had one say no to a fresh shiner in any presentation. We were finding them on the bottom from 60-100ft of water. We did see a few fish cruising mid water column that we assumed were salmon, Allan managed to entice one to bite and it was a rogue laker. So anywhere from 30-100ft over deep water. If you were in shallower, i would have thought you would get more smallies and possibly salmon.

PikeKing23

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I have an old Eagle Fish Easy that I rigged to be portable for ice fishing.  It works fine in 20' with no wind/current, but I doubt the target separation at 100' on the bottom would show fish.  I couldn't keep my bait in the cone anyways.  Oh well, maybe next time.  Still a beautiful place.  It feels more like NH or Maine than MA.  May have to wait until spring for my first laker.

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2019, 11:39 AM »
we were using the spot lock on the trolling motor. Here is what it looks like on my electronics in 80ft.

stripernut

« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2019, 01:37 PM »
PikeKing, in the spring you don't need to get down deep. Trolling flat lines and even casting will get you your laker. Most falls I take a trip to Wachesset and land some lakers and sometimes salmon from shore casting hardware.

Ice fishing for lakers is lots of fun (none in MA), with most of the ones I get on the jigging rod. Let me know if you want to ice fish for them I am happy to take you...

jaltif

« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:56 AM »
If your ever lookin for aomeone to go out with Id love to get out Im there almost everyday in the spring in my boat got a 16lber this past spring.

PikeKing23

« Reply #10 on: Oct 08, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  I may take you guys up on that offer when we get some ice.  I've been following your threads (and Lowaccord too) and it looks like a ton of fun watching them come up and nail your bait.  I have definitely added this to my bucket list, lol.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Thanks guys.  I may take you guys up on that offer when we get some ice.  I've been following your threads (and Lowaccord too) and it looks like a ton of fun watching them come up and nail your bait.  I have definitely added this to my bucket list, lol.

I don't know anything about Lakers or what they do!   8)

PikeKing23

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Or tiger muskie either, right? Lol. Those are on the list too.

lowaccord66

« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2019, 04:14 PM »
Or tiger muskie either, right? Lol. Those are on the list too.

Friday after thanksgiving for the tigers.  On ice...might be one of my favorite fishing traditions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.