FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512807 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #75 on: Jun 10, 2015, 01:53 PM »
 :sick:

The Greek sounds good though ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #76 on: Jun 13, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Well 3 weeks later..... ;D

Love that Miracle Grow ;D

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #77 on: Jun 16, 2015, 03:11 PM »
The rain may be a little stinky for fishing, but it's got my "freezer" garden happy.

Garlic, 3 rows of tomatoes, cabbage (from seed), broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, 2 rows of peppers, plum tomatoes, and 4 hills green pole beans (from seed) with the asparagus patch at the far end.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #78 on: Jun 16, 2015, 04:08 PM »
And our "winter" garden is coming along, too.

Peas, cukes, carrots, zucchini, summer squash, cantaloupe, onions, winter squash, white potatoes, russets/ sweet potatoes, and 3 seperate plantings of sweet corn and pumpkins (3 week stagger).  ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #79 on: Jun 16, 2015, 05:56 PM »
d**n man! That's quite a garden. I'm very impressed :clapping:

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #80 on: Jun 16, 2015, 07:17 PM »
Thanks. Just for reference, the rows in the big garden are 70'.  It takes a little work, but its worth it. We don't buy veggies, we put out a little roadside self-service stand that just about breaks us even, and we donate a bunch to the local food pantry.  ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #81 on: Jun 17, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I can see that it's a lot of work there. Nice work though. Can't wait till next year. The garden is gonna expand ;D

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #82 on: Jun 18, 2015, 07:46 AM »
The smaller garden is relatively easy to maintain. My secret is a Garden Weasel. http://www.gardenweasel.com
I pull the head off the roof rake and a Garden Weasel head snaps on the aluminum pole like it was meant to. It stays that way for the growing season. I can reach/ work the whole garden from one side or the other without having to "get in". Only takes about half an hour or less after a rain to do the whole garden.  ;D

BLACK ICE

« Reply #83 on: Jun 18, 2015, 08:14 AM »
The smaller garden is relatively easy to maintain. My secret is a Garden Weasel. http://www.gardenweasel.com
I pull the head off the roof rake and a Garden Weasel head snaps on the aluminum pole like it was meant to. It stays that way for the growing season. I can reach/ work the whole garden from one side or the other without having to "get in". Only takes about half an hour or less after a rain to do the whole garden.  ;D
             I have a garden Weasel also, but I also have a small Troy Built garden tiller that my fiance can use to do between rows then she can use the
              Weasel between plants.

My Garden, it's not real big and we got a late start
[/UR  
               My tiller
 [URL=http://s1214.photobucket.com/user/ADKSPORTSMAN/media/DSCF8211.jpg.html]

Mac Attack

« Reply #84 on: Jun 18, 2015, 09:31 AM »

My tiller

I rent one of these from the local Home Depot in the spring and also in the Fall before covering the garden with heavy black plastic sheet.
Rental is $40 for the day but I rarely have it more than 3 hrs and I even use it on my neighbor's to help him out here and there.
I looked at buying one, and they really aren't a ton of bucks, but with renting I don't have to store it or maintain it.
Still, it would be nice to have my own.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #85 on: Jun 18, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I've got a rototiller too, and I give it a good tilling and mix in some new manure and peat in the spring as well, but once it's planted it's a pain getting the tiller in, out, and around because it's a raised bed (telephone poles).  ;D

BLACK ICE

« Reply #86 on: Jun 18, 2015, 01:11 PM »

I rent one of these from the local Home Depot in the spring and also in the Fall before covering the garden with heavy black plastic sheet.
Rental is $40 for the day but I rarely have it more than 3 hrs and I even use it on my neighbor's to help him out here and there.
I looked at buying one, and they really aren't a ton of bucks, but with renting I don't have to store it or maintain it.
Still, it would be nice to have my own.
                For me it was better to buy, first I live 30 miles from a rental place, then I have 3 sons who also use it, so it paid to buy.   
                They really don't take up much room.
I've got a rototiller too, and I give it a good tilling and mix in some new manure and peat in the spring as well, but once it's planted it's a pain getting the tiller in, out, and around because it's a raised bed (telephone poles).  ;D
             You probably have a bigger tiller, this one I can pick up with one hand, my daughter-in-law uses it their raised bed.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #87 on: Jun 19, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Question........ How much do you have to do to remove rocks and such before tilling new soil?

Rg

BLACK ICE

« Reply #88 on: Jun 19, 2015, 06:59 PM »

Depends on the size of the rocks. My first garden some 35 years ago, I plowed with my tractor, I had to pull rocks out by hand, they
          were good sized rocks. Some weighed 20 to 30 lbs. smaller rocks we raked out. Rocks have the tendency to grow every year, the frost
          brings them to the surface. Our garden then was about 1.5 acres.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #89 on: Jun 20, 2015, 06:05 PM »
I'm guessing I'm going to end up turning over the new area by hand. I'll peck away at it this fall and get it set for spring.

It's going to be about 16x24 to start ;D

The plantings seem to get bigger each year with me. I'm going to need to set up rainwater collection. My water bills are high enough.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.