FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513027 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #510 on: Aug 26, 2016, 04:30 PM »
OYE! You never stop Mac.

I used soaker hoses for my beds this summer. Made quick work of watering. Got a 4 outlet manifold at Lowes and set up 4 zones. I think I spent $15 for the hose, another $10 for additional fittings and that's it. I used some galvanized wire to make some loops to hold the hose in place.  I cut up an old hose and added ends to make the feeds from the manifold to the beds.

I was gonna mess with a timer, but just opened and closed the different zones as needed. I found it cheap and effective.

Thanks for the info on the garlic. I think I'll wait till I'm done with radishes then drop some garlic in.  What other fall plantings do you do if any?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #511 on: Aug 26, 2016, 08:41 PM »
OYE! You never stop Mac.

Rg

Don't worry Bob.
I'm going fishing in the morning tomorrow.
I'll be much better afterwards.
With any hope.

😎

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #512 on: Aug 26, 2016, 09:24 PM »
I don't always do them Bob, but parsnips are a fall planting, too.  I was taught that that should be sewn in the fall and harvested mid-summer.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #513 on: Aug 27, 2016, 03:44 AM »
I don't always do them Bob, but parsnips are a fall planting, too.  I was taught that that should be sewn in the fall and harvested mid-summer.   ;D
Not a big fan of parsnips. Think I'll stick with some greens. Maybe leaf lettuce, spinach and chard.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #514 on: Aug 27, 2016, 08:03 AM »
My spinach didn't do squat this year for some reason. It basically didn't even come up (maybe 6 +/- plants?) and I planted that row 3 times. I'm going to put in some peas this week and hope for a nice fall crop.  I'll probably do a 50/50 with Snow peas and Little Marvels.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

tomturkey

« Reply #515 on: Aug 27, 2016, 10:08 AM »
My buddy that grows parsnips plants in the spring, mulches them in the fall and harvests as soon as the weather breaks the next spring. Over  wintering makes them sweeter.

Same with carrots. I gave some to a friend whos kids would not eat carrots. They devoured the over wintered ones looking for more. She hardly got a taste.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #516 on: Aug 27, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Spent a long morning in the garden today. Pulled the giant sunflowers and most of the tomatoes. Left the hot peppers ant the tomatoes in the other gardens. I'll be planting, chard, spinach, 2 varieties of leaf lettuce and snow peas in addition to the beans and radishes already sprouting.

Right now it's time for a beer and the little league championship games.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #517 on: Aug 27, 2016, 03:28 PM »
Beer is good!   ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #518 on: Aug 27, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Beer is great.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #519 on: Aug 27, 2016, 03:36 PM »
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
                                                                                 Ben Franklin
 ;D

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #520 on: Aug 27, 2016, 04:55 PM »
One of the songs on our camp CD..     ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #521 on: Aug 27, 2016, 05:21 PM »
And........Maine-Endwell wins the US championship and stays undefeated for the season.

I say hoist one to celebrate!

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #522 on: Aug 27, 2016, 05:32 PM »
And........Maine-Endwell wins the US championship and stays undefeated for the season.

I say hoist one to celebrate!

Rg

Wrong thread buddy

BTW, we did alright on the walleyes today.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #523 on: Aug 28, 2016, 12:21 PM »
So....the little garden got a makeover the past few days.  With forecasted temps staying up around the 80 mark well into September, I thought ...what the heck. Let's plant some more stuff. I  pulled almost everything, leaving the hot peppers, parsley and a couple tomato plants and of course, the asparagus and carrots.

I measured the biggest sunflower. It was 14' tall with a 22" diameter crown. The stalks were as much as 3" in diameter.

They won't be in next year's garden. The sucked the life out of that end of the bed. I might do a planting out in the yard somewhere.

I also moved the compost bin outside of the garden and dug up all the blasted tiger lilies. More room to work :thumbup_smilie:
Planted 4 varieties of radishes, 2 varieties of leaf lettuce, snow peas, green and wax beans and chard.

The beans and radishes sprouted in 5 days.

I'll get some more mulch for the pathways just to keep things neat.

I fortified the soil with cow manure with compost and a pretty good garden soil mixture. The soil looks really good.

Having fun with some fall crops is new to me. I like it!

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #524 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:38 PM »
I think I solved where Donna's green tomatoes went.
Out at the lake my neighbor has a small raised bed.
2 tomato plants are in it.
Last night I saw a small black squirrel running across my lawn with a green tomato in its mouth.
The tomato was larger in diameter than the squirrel's head.
Goofiest looking thing.
I would have thought that green tomatoes would be too bitter for a squirrel's liking.
Obviously not.

BTW Bob, I just showed Donna your garden pictures there.
She is very impressed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.