FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 512976 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #660 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:35 PM »
Gave someone a jar of zucchini relish a couple weeks ago and he showed back up with a few boxes of some old jars in mint condition..  I can get seals for these still but he asked me if I was interested in, 5 unopened, cases of these in blue/green glass... :o
Told him he can pick out anything from my canning shelf's he wants..    Those will make great Christmas presents.... ;D    

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #661 on: Sep 10, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Awesome find. Fill them with candy. I used to do that at work. They weren't real antiques though, repro's.

Guess what's for dinner

;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #662 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Mmmmmmmmm!

Blt subs.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #663 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:04 PM »
The summer time classic! That was my lunch Thursday, only on homemade wheat toast.  Yummm! ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Mac Attack

« Reply #664 on: Sep 10, 2016, 11:55 PM »
Last weekend we did all of those qts of salsa.
Today we did 1.5 bushels of tomatoes and made and canned tomato sauce for this winter.
Past years we froze it.
This year we canned it.
WAY more work.
I just pulled the last jars out of the canning pot.
Time for bed.
A job well done.

8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #665 on: Sep 11, 2016, 05:15 AM »
I've got the small batch process down to a science Mac. Takes me about a hour from raw tomatoes to 8 pints of canned salsa, pickles or whatever. Sauce takes a bit longer. It needs to get happy in the sauce pot for a while. But, my Bride tends the pot while I keep busy elsewhere.

With my limited garden space, I think it's almost easier to buy plumb tomatoes at the farmers market in town than to grow them myself. I think that next year I'm going to concentrate on more leafy veggies, peppers of different types and pickles and cukes.

I have an idea for a 2' X 8' raised bed with a removable framed wire cover to grow leafy veggies without feeding the deer and rabbits. I can see a hot box option  for starting as well.

I wonder if anyone does outdoor hydroponic beds?

Better go for my fun now :-\

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #666 on: Sep 11, 2016, 11:52 AM »

With my limited garden space, I think it's almost easier to buy plumb tomatoes at the farmers market in town than to grow them myself.

Rg

plumb?   ;D

Yea, we bought plum tomatoes.
veggies are scarce and also high cost around here this year due to the drought.
I feel growing is less money but buying is easier.
Growing them has tomatoes ripening here and there.
Buying allows you to process them all at once and get it over with.

Tomato sauce is still WAY cheaper to buy in a can from the store.

But as we discussed, there are other driving forces and reasons to process them yourself.

This morning when I woke I was d**n glad we finished them last night.
There was a point where we almost decided to finish them the next day.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #667 on: Sep 11, 2016, 04:42 PM »
So,I've been looking at hydroponic towers as a fun thing to play with next year. Looks simple and complicated all at once. Seems very technical. Keeping the water in balance looks to need constant attention.

Rg

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #668 on: Sep 13, 2016, 06:35 PM »
 I did my last batch of MY pickles last night, did em with the Hungarians again in polish dill. The previous batch was with the spicy mix and I added a cup of sugar, I'm headed to the market to get 20# more to do that way, unanimous top choice among my testers   ;D Harvested 20 # of tomato's tonight, guess what my next canning project will be  ::) ::) Scored some local organic honey this weekend, turns out my neighbor 3 doors down has 5 hives   ;D ;D ;D ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #669 on: Sep 13, 2016, 07:30 PM »
Lucky you to have honey so close. I travel way down the east side of Keuka lake to get my honey. Nature's gold for sure.

All I have left for maters are some better boys, a few plumb and a bunch of cherries. All are as good as tomatoes get. Sweet and meaty. We had grilled cheese and tomato for our Friday night dinner.

My beans, chard, radishes and snow peas are humming right along. I'm gonna need to harvest
some  carrots this weekend too. Asparagus is going crazy. I think I should have planted it at the back of the plot rather than the front.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #670 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08:17 PM »

I travel way down the east side of Keuka lake to get my honey.

Rg

Excuse me?!?

:o

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #671 on: Sep 13, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Once you get her does she give you a little sugar?  8)
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #672 on: Sep 14, 2016, 02:49 AM »
When am I ever gonna learn?

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #673 on: Sep 14, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Frigidator pickles. Mmmmmmmmmm! Spicy dills.

I'll let them get happy for a week or so. They're for horseshoes ;D

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #674 on: Sep 14, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Looks great. I think the longer they soak  the better...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.