FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: A Windy Day  (Read 1648 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
A Windy Day
« on: Jun 26, 2006, 01:38 PM »
My partner and I went fishing yesterday late afternoon.
It had been windy all day and we though it may have calmed down a bit at the lake. No a chance, the waves were hitting the shore hard. We thought we would pass and waited for some time. After a bit it calmed enough to launch the boat, but as soon as we were out it started up again. I just had my electric trolling motor with me so we could not move very far. We decided to move into the wind a little ways from shore and anchor. We did and soon found that the wind was even dragging an the anchor, a little more wind than your average walleye chop.

Well we fished that way of trolling out and slowly drifting back with the anchor for 35 min or so, with no luck, one reason it was hard to cast your lure in the direction you wanted, it may go 10 feet up but only 5 feet out.  ::)
Finally my partner had a sharp tug and they wrestled a nice walleye into the waving boat, now I tell you looking down in large waves to take the hook out is really hard to do. :P :wacko:

As we were drifting back to shore I hooked a pike just under 18". That was good enough for us, and we got ready to ride the next wave back to shore, boat surfing.  ;D

Not bad a day for only 1 hour fishing and rough waters. :)

Both the pike and the walleye were taken on Berkley power grubs in white.

WW

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

grumpymoe

Re: A Windy Day
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2006, 08:23 PM »
nice fish WW...too  bad about the heavy walleye chop lol...sure wished you would have snapped a pic of it...WTG toughing it out...looking forward to the next adventure for sure....Grump  :nono:

wormwigglr

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:53 AM »
where's the 19'' pike that one looks to be shy of 18'' if the tape was held at it's snout. :P

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 27, 2006, 12:41 PM »
Wormwiggler, I took a good close look at the photo if the pikes nose was touching it would be just 18 inches, I made the correction to my post, thanks for spotting it.  :)

Thanks Grump, yeah that chop would have been interesting, it would have not been the most inviting photo with grey cold water, white caps in the distance and a back cloud in the distance. :azn:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.