FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what's everyone running for boats?  (Read 4417 times)

Big Burk

what's everyone running for boats?
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:27 PM »
What's everyone running for boats? I am planning on upgrading within the next two years but a new truck and toyhauler camper are the next purchases so I have some time to decide on what I want. Have been looking at 18-20ft aluminum boats with at least a 150hp motor. Would like to know pros and cons of what everyone is running before I decide. Lund, crestliner, princecraft, g3, tracker, legend, would like to hear some opinions on all of them but as of right now leaning toward either a lund or princecraft.

Also post pics of what ever boat you have, both of my boats are a little weathered but still get the job done for now.

First boat bought is an old early 60's 16ft thorne bro's aluminum boat powered by a very very rough running 35hp merc with the old clothes line steering.  Brought the boat home, took the 35hp merc off and replaced it with a brand new 20hp honda tiller in 2008. I then removed steering wheel, windshield and cut the closed bow back and opened the front up for a casting deck. Added a raised plywood floor to the entire boat, 33lb minkota trolling motor, lowrance fishfinder and have a portable livewell made from a cooler. This old thing has done me well, it took a bit of work and still needs some but it handles rough water well for being super light,  I have shot rappids with it up north, for being a beater boat I can't complain it is a fairly comfortable boat to fish out of.

Last year I bought my 78 14ft vanguard with a 65 hp merc. Put a lot of miles on it last spring and early summer until the leg went and had to wait 5 months to find parts for it. But after a tune up this spring and a few more parts ordered its almost back together just waiting on one more piece. I am recovering the seats right now, recarpeting the floor, got new garmin fish finder to mount on, minkota 33lb trolling motor, and the portable live well going into the boat in the next two weeks.

Let's see what ya got! Always looking for ideas for my boat and I know I'm not alone. Will post more pics of either boat if anyone has a similar one they want to rig up to their likings and are looking for ideas

saskfishy

Re: what's everyone running for boats?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 12:38 AM »
I have a few buddies that have brand new lunds and they like them. They are virtually unsinkable and they can handle any situation. The only thing i don't like about lunds is that they have Murcury written all over them, now a days 4 strokes is hit and miss. My neighbor bought a crestliner and had a Merc on it and he had constant problems with it, but after about another $2000 it ran like a top. Now Evinrude and Suzuki motors are probably the best in my books. My parents have a pontoon boat with a 150hp Suzuki on it and i was amazed that they require no break in period. But Evinrude is probably the best. Me and my buddies were out on delaronde and it was amazing how much torque they had, no oil changes for 3 years!!!! which i thought was the best thing ever and then they also require no break in period. so its all what you think is best. But i like my little 14 foot with the 9.9 2 stroke, don't need anything special for where i go lol. Anyway good luck!  ;D

Big Burk

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:43 AM »
What ever I decide on will be getting a mercury optimax/or verado or a honda. 

HowesVerona

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:02 PM »
14 ft deep V. 1993 20HP evinrude and a 1986 9.9 evinrude as a back up. Both short shafts and 2 stroke. I love my 9.9 to death. Most reliable motor ever. Didn't use it for 4 years, and fired on 3 pulls. No work done on it. Amazing little motor. I took it to a guy to have him clean it out, and he offered to buy it after seeing how clean it already was.
"All fishermen are liars; it's an occupational disease with them like housemaid's knee or editor's ulcers."

MEyota79

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33 PM »
64' Corson

Big Burk

« Reply #5 on: Jun 13, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Bought a lil 4.5hp johnson kicker and a 62lbs bow mount minkota for the boat. Got the kicker on and just need to finish rigging the 24v system in the boat then I can mount the new trolling motor. The 4.5 runs great but would like to find a 9.9hp merc instead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.