FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Are Electrofishing Reports Available?  (Read 2519 times)

Outanabout

Are Electrofishing Reports Available?
« on: Apr 06, 2008, 08:28 AM »
This site looks like fun. I'm new here trying to figure everything out. Anybody read Ken Allens article in the morning sentinel on Saturday? Are these reports he talked about available to the public? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

rude the dude

• when can we go again?
Re: Are Electrofishing Reports Available?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2008, 09:48 AM »
I read it. I think Ken Allen is a Joke. The sooner he is out of the outdoor scene in Maine the better. And why do they have to shock the streams. What do they gain by it. I think it is a waste of Money and resources. I would like to know in what way this has any positive impact on the fishing in the state of Maine. 8)

pikehater

« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Shocking the waters is the easiest way for IFW to study species in a given water, size of species (growth rates), disease and so on.  I don't know the specifics but have a friend who spends a few months doing this every year.  It makes sense.  It would take forever to try to catch enough fish with conventional methods to make any study reliable.  I'm sure they use the data for future stocking decisions and other management techniques.  I'd love to go with my buddy some time to see what kind of monsters float to the top.  I've only heard the stories.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

anthonyebola

« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2008, 03:06 PM »
I like Ken Allens articles in the Sportsman

Outanabout

« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2008, 06:25 PM »
I get a little tired of Ken's ATTITUDE but he does have some information that fisherman find useful. Just looking for info on his column subject. I don't know enough about electrofishing to say wether it's a waste of time/money or not.           My 2c worth.

Backwater_

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:02 PM »
Ever try to do  a population estimate on young of the year brookies by hook and line?   ::)

smeltslayer

• Hammering fish and Ticking people off!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:37 PM »
Not a big fan of Ken Allen or Harry Wideload. When you live in Maine and say your promoting Maine but most of the articles sum up to LEAVE Maine to catch fish. Well they ought to learn how to fish in Maine. There is some great fishing in Maine if you know how to. Granted it is not like it was 30 years ago when the limit was 10 brook trout a day. But Maine still has some decent fishing left in it. Don't really waste my time with those two!!! ;D

Loves To Fish

• When Can We Go Again!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:23 AM »
This site looks like fun. I'm new here trying to figure everything out. Anybody read Ken Allens article in the morning sentinel on Saturday? Are these reports he talked about available to the public? Any info would be appreciated, Thanks.

I think you can contact the regional fisheries office in your area and they will send you all the information. All you have to do is ask for it.

robbfishing

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Not a big fan of Ken Allen or Harry Wideload. When you live in Maine and say your promoting Maine but most of the articles sum up to LEAVE Maine to catch fish. Well they ought to learn how to fish in Maine. There is some great fishing in Maine if you know how to. Granted it is not like it was 30 years ago when the limit was 10 brook trout a day. But Maine still has some decent fishing left in it. Don't really waste my time with those two!!! ;D
totaly agree  but i call him harry biganwide ;D

togue troller

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2008, 06:02 PM »
im a sam member but i think ken and harry are full of u know what

iProzac1982

• Free Line Rides
« Reply #10 on: Apr 10, 2008, 06:54 AM »
Ever try to do  a population estimate on young of the year brookies by hook and line?   ::)

BWG, you gotta sit on the bank and watch 'em as they swim by!! :laugh:

me0nat0

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2008, 12:12 PM »
http://www.pearl.maine.edu

It may be a little tricky to navigate if you've never used it before, but it has most (if not all) the data that has been collected about various waterways around the state, including the results of electrofishing.  It doesn't say "we found a 3lbs brookie in the third pool from the dam" but it does give dates, species, and relative abundances.  I've found the easiest way to navigate the site is to find the water youre interested in, click on "fauna", then it will list if there are records for stocking, electrofishing, or any other catagories that have been taken over the years.  If you're feeling confident with your computing abilities, you can search for electrofishing results, and it will spit out all the records they have in a large list that you can skim over.

Or call up IFW for a paper copy. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.