FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Your favorite striper reel/rod?  (Read 1743 times)

s fontinalis

Your favorite striper reel/rod?
« on: Jun 16, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Hey guys,

Thinking about making the upgrade this year to really get some striper specific gear, been piecing it together the last few years with decent results but think I'm a little undergeared for the the day I hook into a real monster. I'd love to hear folks favorite setups, I mostly sling lures from shore/beaches but may also expand into bait fishing a little more. Any thoughts on a good Penn spinning reel and rods to match? Open to other ideas too.

Tight lines!  8)

sebagosalmo

Re: Your favorite striper reel/rod?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Shamano bait feeder & surf reels are great reels but they are pricey !

Okuma bait feeder reels & surf reels have come a long way since being introduced 10-12 years ago
( mid level price )

Cabelas is making salt water reels bait feeders and surf reels that are on the lower price range but still fair quality

As for rods

St. Croix - pricey but high quality

Shakespeare Ugly sticks are good rods

Cabelas salt stricker are also good rods

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2014, 05:34 PM »
I use an okuma rod and an okuma bait feeder. It's not the most expensive gear out there but the reel is nice for the price.

FishBelowME

• Hooked up!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I've had great luck with Okuma bait runners, the shimanos are good to but they're pricey. Ugly sticks are always a good bet for rods, keep in mind that salt water is rough on equipment.

canoeist

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Tsunami airwave elite and Penn Spinfisher V would make a great combo for short money for slinging lures.

BillB

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2014, 02:06 AM »
For an decent entry level rod the TICA UEHA427402S TC2 Surf Series is hard to beat. Throw a Quantum BOCA50 (the newer upgraded version....holds exactly 300yds of 30lb Power Pro) on the TICA and you have enough rod/reel to get the job done on fish into the 40 inch range. You can plug (from 3/8oz to 2.5oz) and also sling bait (great chunking rod) with this set up.

s fontinalis

« Reply #6 on: Jun 17, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Lots of good options out there... just so much to wade through online! Thanks for the ideas.

s fontinalis

« Reply #7 on: Jun 17, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on the Penn reel line? Also, what length rod would to go with for general purpose casting and surf?

SmeltDragger

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2014, 02:20 PM »
I use a 8' rod for casting and a 10' for surf fishing. I'm on the other side of the equation. Salt tears up gear so I'm not spending big money on gear. I fish with a guy who buys everything at mardens. Last year he got several fish that went over 40" without issue. I think the most he has spent on a rod and reel is $50 total. The line is the important factor in the equation. He uses good quality line and terminal gear. He also stays away from using braid. He outfished me 5 to 1 last year. needless to say. I no longer use braid.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 17, 2014, 02:27 PM »
I don't like anything less than 10' for a rod if you're fishing the surf. That being said I do 100% of my fishing off the beach dead sticking worms or clams.

fishlessman

« Reply #10 on: Jun 17, 2014, 02:36 PM »
ive got some higher end reels but the workhorse for me has been a diawa ss whisker series tournament , must be 25 years now problem free. its not real smooth, its not instant anti reverse, it just works. now thats the work horse, now my favorite is a seamaster dual mode fly reel set up for a 9 wt 9 foot 6 winston 5 piece fly rod ;D

FishBelowME

• Hooked up!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 17, 2014, 05:06 PM »
Anyone have thoughts on the Penn reel line? Also, what length rod would to go with for general purpose casting and surf?
I've got a penn live liner 5600l i've had it for awhile and it seems to be a good smooth reel. All my other baitrunners (okuma) take the live liner of automatically when you begin to reel after setting the baitrunner. So after after your baitrunner is set and a fish hits you just reel and set the hook and you are on your regular drag. With the penn you have to manually take the bait runner off before setting the hook. Its not a big deal as long as you remember to do it. I have seen many people grab the rod and just start to reel as they go to set the hook, ratsnest the reel, and usually loose the fish.

conley1993

« Reply #12 on: Jun 17, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Penn reels are decent for the price. I would advise you to NOT purchase one of the Penn Battles. They are complete junk and I wish I never spent $100 or so on the one I have. Right now I am using a Penn 550sg. Its a good reel and as with anything the better you take care of it the longer it will last. My next reel choice would be a Van Stall or ZeeBass  :laugh:

cornshark

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17, 2014, 07:15 PM »
For conventional level winds cannot beat a penn fathom, or shimano tekota. . I have both shimano rods light weight and plenty of back bone.
Perchus Slaversons

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.