FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Beautiful Saturday for Yak Fishing  (Read 1916 times)

westernmas

Beautiful Saturday for Yak Fishing
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:28 AM »
The forecast for Saturday ended up being a little cooler than they originally stated but I had my heart set on getting out in my kayak for the first time.  I was knocking down my buddies door around 9 and he was clearly not getting up so I headed to the hills for some solo fishing.  I ended up on the pond shortly after ten.  There was a slight breeze, mostly clear skies and temps in the low 60s.  There was one other person fishing out of a kayak when I arrived.  He did not last long and I was able to fish the unpopulated pond with two bald eagles for the majority of the day.

The fishing was relatively slow.  I ended up getting 2 largemouths on senkos fished very slowly and thrown toward shallow cover.  I got the first one near a small rock pile toward the center of the lake and the second in an area that is usually heavily matted with lillies.  Both fish were caught in less than 2 feet of water.

I think the ponds out west are behind most of the rest of the state.  I couldn't believe there were 1-2 foot snow banks in the shade the majority of my ride up to the pond.  Hopefully the weather heats up so the fishing does too.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

lowaccord66

Re: Beautiful Saturday for Yak Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Nice work Pat.  I was knee deep in stockies all day!

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:40 AM »
Nice work Pat.  I was knee deep in stockies all day!

Hip can't handle the uneven bottom of the river yet.  Couple more weeks and I'll meet up with you.  I can't stand slowing anyone down or feeling like a burden.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:50 AM »
And I thought I might get a chance to get out for some stockies today with the flyrod... Now I am thinking I will stay in...

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Nice job Pat. You have to get that hip healed up before The ditch gets hot
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:55 AM »
Nice job Pat. You have to get that hip healed up before The ditch gets hot

Yup!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Good work Pat!

Those bass must have been looking for some warmer water especially near the sun ridden rocks. Still a bit early in the season to get them that shallow especially if they are not the pigs of the pond. Good work and report!
Wicked Wec

manitron

« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Glad to hear that you got out. Allow yourself to heal up well . All the injuries that you push through when you are young come back to haunt you when you turn 60. Ask me how I know.   ;)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2018, 12:35 PM »
Glad to hear that you got out. Allow yourself to heal up well . All the injuries that you push through when you are young come back to haunt you when you turn 60. Ask me how I know.   ;)

Sometimes even younger...

At least I know what to expect for aches and pains, so I can work around then or work on them so I can continue to fish.

Little else would ruin my time than not being able to fish (from shore, canal or kayak)!!!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Took my kayak out in Wayland and found my first spot to be flooded beyond what I was willing to chance.
Some how a flooded river with swiftly moving current doesn't look as inviting as it could to others.
My second spot (close to first and connected to the first by a feeder stream) was also flooded.
Water was a good 2 feet above average, which changed the fishing dynamics entirely.

Caught one decent bass, but got to explore sections of a connecting bird sanctuary because of the flooding.

All in all a good day to be out on the water!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

westernmas

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Took my kayak out in Wayland and found my first spot to be flooded beyond what I was willing to chance.
Some how a flooded river with swiftly moving current doesn't look as inviting as it could to others.
My second spot (close to first and connected to the first by a feeder stream) was also flooded.
Water was a good 2 feet above average, which changed the fishing dynamics entirely.

Caught one decent bass, but got to explore sections of a connecting bird sanctuary because of the flooding.

All in all a good day to be out on the water!

At least you didn't get a skunk.  I got a weekend long skunk between yak fishing saturday and fly fishing sunday.  It was still nice to get out tho.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.