FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Now I remember....  (Read 4414 times)

Roccus

Now I remember....
« on: May 14, 2019, 08:33 AM »
 what it was like to fish for stripers in November, except back then in the bye gone days  they were bigger and there were more of them.
last night I spent 3 hours in the sleet and pouring rain, I ended up with 9 "giants" that laid nose to tail( all of them together) MIGHT make a commercial keeper... Enough of this foolishness, my boats not leaving the dock again until the air  temp gets above 65!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Now I remember....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45 AM »
LOL.

Joe - I wish you the best this season and I also hope that you acheive that goal you have been chasing the last few seasons. As far as I know, you have not crested that 50 total goal.

Time to chase some blackfish down my way. Fluke are right behind them!
Wicked Wec

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:47 AM »
This weather is ridiculous.  The extended forecast looks a little warmer but I'll believe it when I see it.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Roccus

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 10:05 AM »
LOL.

Joe - I wish you the best this season and I also hope that you acheive that goal you have been chasing the last few seasons. As far as I know, you have not crested that 50 total goal.

Time to chase some blackfish down my way. Fluke are right behind them!

2 more to 20...I've done 2 in one night...all I ask for is a chance...

Knot there yet

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 02:08 PM »
 Worst weather in the country. I Went truck fishing. I  sat in the truck and fished the ramp. Got 2 on worms and stayed warm. Hands get cold fast when wet and over 50. A least fish are here

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35 PM »
what it was like to fish for stripers in November, except back then in the bye gone days  they were bigger and there were more of them.
last night I spent 3 hours in the sleet and pouring rain, I ended up with 9 "giants" that laid nose to tail( all of them together) MIGHT make a commercial keeper... Enough of this foolishness, my boats not leaving the dock again until the air  temp gets above 65!

I get to say this because I know you know better...because I certainly do.  I've avoided the hudson scene this year...I skipped the hold overs in the CT holdover spots...ive ignored the CT river migration...ive caught enough stripers beyond 30lbs where really I am after one thing...that mark.  Granted I'll probably release it and never know the true weight but thats ok.  If I could beat 52" bass (my current pb from shore) I'd be satisfied.  Ill get a couple shots to beat it off of block this year but boat fish don't count  :P

Also not surprised at all to hear you fished at night this early in the season. 

Must have felt great to dust the cobwebs off.  Im waiting until memorial day weekend to formally kick off what is a long season!

lowjack12

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I get to say this because I know you know better...because I certainly do.  I've avoided the hudson scene this year...I skipped the hold overs in the CT holdover spots...ive ignored the CT river migration...ive caught enough stripers beyond 30lbs where really I am after one thing...that mark.  Granted I'll probably release it and never know the true weight but thats ok.  If I could beat 52" bass (my current pb from shore) I'd be satisfied.  Ill get a couple shots to beat it off of block this year but boat fish don't count  :P

Must have felt great to dust the cobwebs off.  Im waiting until memorial day weekend to formally kick off what is a long season!
any pics of the 52. Buddy  of mine had a 47 landed  on his charter boat on the Hudson few weeks ago

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 07:27 PM »
any pics of the 52. Buddy  of mine had a 47 landed  on his charter boat on the Hudson few weeks ago

In existence? Yes. 

Roccus

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:32 AM »

Alot of things go into fishing success and how we measure it,I know or knew (deceased now)many excellent fisherman that never got a "50" .. sometimes it's about timing, most times a 45lb fish is the same class as 50 or even 60 lb fish,I've been targeting large only since 1982,and in a place that sees summer residents that have had to swim the gauntlet of the Jersey Shore, block island and Cape cod canal , they get educated and beat up along the way..96% of my fish come from 6 FOW or less,and I only use Ande tournament #16 line on my spinners. .25 in the conventional reels, I use a boat because I'm smart enough to realize I'd be severely limited otherwise,I've had the same boat for 35 years, striped bass fishing is my passion, and has been dance 1972,I've found a thumb drive full of pictures a few weeks ago, and it's full, even some tuna pictures. .here are a few bass pictures of 50lbs plus fish including a 61,the oldest us the 61 taken in 86, the most recent Is the shouldered fish from 3 years ago that bottomed out a digital  scale.and I Remember Exactly Where I Got Every ONE Of them.the conditions and the bait.i threw in a fun picture from a time when cod were legal, a striper cod double from the mouth of the river,  that will never happen again in my life time

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 09:36 AM »
Joe just to be clear I am ribbing about the boat thing.  Those are great pics...truly admirable.  Thanks for sharing...I am now motivated!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58 AM »
Great photos Joe! Love the black and white. I will be tossing your plugs this weekend.

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Great photos Joe! Love the black and white. I will be tossing your plugs this weekend.

One of his jointed eels is stuck at the end of weakapaug jetty.  Whoops!

Roccus

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 10:59 AM »
Joe just to be clear I am ribbing about the boat thing.  Those are great pics...truly admirable.  Thanks for sharing...I am now motivated!

I knew that...a boat is just a tool...

Roccus

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 11:02 AM »
One of his jointed eels is stuck at the end of weakapaug jetty.  Whoops!

oh that's BAD.. you should get a time out for wanton waste!.. I don't make many of them, they are a lot of work... I've got one that I've refinished twice, for some reason even though I hydro orient every plug, use the same weight etc. that one out fishes all others...

I'll look and see if I have one I can spare...no promises..

zwiggles

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Great post and better pics!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.