FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wawasee  (Read 8058 times)

taxid

Re: Wawasee
« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:11 PM »
Hell No!  ::) ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #31 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:19 PM »
I'll be fishing. You must suffer for your art.

taxid

« Reply #32 on: Apr 04, 2018, 09:28 PM »
I'll be fishing. You must suffer for your art.

Good comeback.  ;D

I guess I'm a fair weather fisherman in my old age. I want to enjoy the experience.  ;)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #33 on: Apr 05, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Giving it a go tomorrow,lighter winds ,ice fishing suit ,and hopefully some yellow bars!Anybone else going to brave the cold!

Actually the weather today is nice. Low wind with sun. Perch ought to be cruising the perch grass and or mud flats.

taxid

« Reply #34 on: Apr 05, 2018, 12:32 PM »
They are definitely dropping the eggs in my perch pond. Never had them do it in this cold of water but I guess they can't hold them forever. Survivability for the fry will be low this year unless it warms up quickly. Water needs to be about 10 degrees warmer to produce the phytoplankton that feeds the zooplankton which the minute fry feed on. Might be a good thing though. If an age class is reduced in numbers it could produce larger perch in the long run.

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #35 on: Apr 05, 2018, 02:53 PM »
No perch cruising anywhere for me today😡I fished everywhere and all depths,just some bass for my efforts today.Maybe when this crazy up and down,storm front after storm front weather stabilizes the bite will be on again

taxid

« Reply #36 on: Apr 05, 2018, 07:06 PM »
It's snowing here now so I'm sure it's snowing at Wawasee!  ::) 

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #37 on: Apr 07, 2018, 09:58 AM »
you have a rare insight to many things, with that pond of yours. lol  always something to observe.  thanks for sharing it with us.
This morning I watched a Loon catching small perch along the weedline in front of my house. The Loon would slowly paddle around with his head under water looking for fish. When he dove he must have to chase the fish a long way but occassionally he would come up with a fish 50 to 100 feet away.
Also the coots and small diving ducks like the same area. I wonder if they are eating perch eggs.

taxid

« Reply #38 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:06 AM »
This morning I watched a Loon catching small perch along the weedline in front of my house. The Loon would slowly paddle around with his head under water looking for fish. When he dove he must have to chase the fish a long way but occassionally he would come up with a fish 50 to 100 feet away.
Also the coots and small diving ducks like the same area. I wonder if they are eating perch eggs.

You saw a loon on Wawasee? Or was it another lake?

Virtually nothing eats perch eggs. They are naturally repulsive to potential predators. The only think I've seen feed on them are snails if the eggs weren't fertilized and they are decomposing. Even then that takes a while.

https://thefisheriesblog.com/2017/02/06/predators-reject-yellow-perch-egg-skeins/

taxid

« Reply #39 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:07 AM »
you have a rare insight to many things, with that pond of yours. lol  always something to observe.  thanks for sharing it with us.

Thank you for enjoying my posts. There are a few on here I annoy.

abishop

« Reply #40 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:10 AM »
I was surprised to see about 30 loons on a lake I was on. But, I was surprised to see the big crappie they could eat. Had to be at least a 8 or 9 incher.

taxid

« Reply #41 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:15 AM »
I guessing they are passing through?  Might be in for a big surprise if they go too far north and find ice! I know they won't stick around on developed lakes.

I really enjoyed them when I took a fly in trip to northern Maine with my dad to fish a remote lake and some ponds up in the mountains on trails. We had one pop up next to the canoe to check us out. Those red eyes are wild looking!

Absolutely love the sounds they make! it's so beautiful it brings tears to me eyes!

http://www.loon.org/voice-loon.php

fishinpo1e1

« Reply #42 on: Apr 07, 2018, 10:46 AM »
You saw a loon on Wawasee? Or was it another lake?

Virtually nothing eats perch eggs. They are naturally repulsive to potential predators. The only think I've seen feed on them are snails if the eggs weren't fertilized and they are decomposing. Even then that takes a while.

https://thefisheriesblog.com/2017/02/06/predators-reject-yellow-perch-egg-skeins/

The Loon I watched was on Syracuse Lake this morning. We only see them in single or pairs after ice out and sometimes in the Fall.

taxid

« Reply #43 on: Apr 07, 2018, 11:57 AM »
Maybe headed to the U.P.?

RoeBoat

« Reply #44 on: Apr 09, 2018, 09:33 AM »
Saw several loons on the Detroit River yesterday.  Would get really close to the boat occasionally, should have taken a picture.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.