FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wawasee  (Read 8050 times)

PEARCHEYES

Wawasee
« on: Mar 04, 2018, 02:58 PM »
Perch were Hungary today kept 20,the three biggest were right at 11",the rest were 8 to 10

1eyechaser

Re: Wawasee
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2018, 05:20 PM »
were they in the weeds, are they spawning ?

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Hit wawasee this morning ,I was breaking 1/8 to1/4 skim ice to get out to perch territory.The bite was slow until it warmed up and the ice broke up .I ended up with 12,biggest one was11" I think it will be better when the water warms up a few degrees

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Wawasee was good to me Sunday ,fish were cruising shallow flats ,I ended up with 27 .The biggest one went 13 a true hog

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2018, 08:37 AM »
What you using for them right now? How are you fishing for them. How do you locate them? By the way thanks for letting us know how many your getting and what lake.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2018, 09:44 AM »
Hit wawasee this morning ,I was breaking 1/8 to1/4 skim ice to get out to perch territory.The bite was slow until it warmed up and the ice broke up .I ended up with 12,biggest one was11" I think it will be better when the water warms up a few degrees

Too early for spawning.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2018, 07:42 PM »
Fished wawasee today from 10 till 5.Perch were in the 7 to 8 flats .We kept 17 ,with just as many throwbacks.beautiful day to be on the water!Did hook a bonus hog largemouth which was returned to fight again

indianahooker

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2018, 05:47 AM »
stay on them percheyes.  we were out there all weekend pulling bars.  the 2 boats ended up with 72 keepers. there were 28 that went over 11".  the biggest was almost 14".

bigr you can catch perch with all kinds of stuff.  we use floats and worms most of the time.  johnsons bay all the way to cedar point is a good area.  so is the shore all along catherine rd.  in the afternoon they seemed to be up shallower.  cruise and cast till you score some.  then you try to stay with them. 

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Almost 14 inches? Congrats that' a big one for Wawa!

I'm going to wait for warmer weather!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bev

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2018, 07:11 AM »
nice

Bobber Watcher

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Spot on Indianahooker, best spot on wawasee

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:22 PM »
Thank you Hooker. I have a couple lakes I catch a few by accident. I want to put some real effort into catching a meals worth. Sounds like this is the time I should get out. When you say worms are you talking wigglers, pcs of night crawlers?

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2018, 10:34 PM »
I have a guy bringing a musky in to mount. Believe it or not it was caught on Wawasee. Apparently someone thought planting one caught in another lake was at some point in it's life was good thing. At least I'm not aware of any adjoining water bodies that are planted by the state?

MC_angler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:18 AM »
I have a guy bringing a musky in to mount. Believe it or not it was caught on Wawasee. Apparently someone thought planting one caught in another lake was at some point in it's life was good thing. At least I'm not aware of any adjoining water bodies that are planted by the state?

There have been other random muskies seen in Wawasee. And a few others around the state. Two possibilities - bucket brigade transporting them, or there is a remote chance that one swam from Skinner. Anglers moving them around is probably more likely

"Wawasee drains through Turkey Creek into the Elkhart River, so a fish may be able to swim downstream out of Skinner, make a left turn, and then back upstream to Wawasee. It’s possible but not likely."

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr/EventList.aspx?fromdate=11/1/2017&todate=11/30/2017&display=Month&type=public&eventidn=9339&view=EventDetails&information_id=19798&print=print

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2018, 10:49 PM »
There have been other random muskies seen in Wawasee. And a few others around the state. Two possibilities - bucket brigade transporting them, or there is a remote chance that one swam from Skinner. Anglers moving them around is probably more likely

"Wawasee drains through Turkey Creek into the Elkhart River, so a fish may be able to swim downstream out of Skinner, make a left turn, and then back upstream to Wawasee. It’s possible but not likely."

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr/EventList.aspx?fromdate=11/1/2017&todate=11/30/2017&display=Month&type=public&eventidn=9339&view=EventDetails&information_id=19798&print=print

Thank you for the information. Didn't know there was a possible connection of Skinner to Wawasee albeit not direct. I find the "not likely" comment by Price amusing judging by my limited experience rearing fish on my property in my four ponds. Although there is no way any of my fish in my four ponds can escape the property I have learned several things about fish.

1. All species of fish seem to have a natural tendency to move from one body of water to another if at all possible. In my case it was a couple of connected ponds. I once had bluegills swim over 200 feet upstream though flowing water via a drainage pipe to another pond.

2. All species seem to be attracted to moving water and like to swim against it or with it. This means they will leave a body of water via an inlet or outlet if possible. They seem also more likely to want to travel as fry or fingerlings.

3. Fish are the ultimate escape artists. In my floating fish cages if there is an opening big enough for them to escape they will find it!

3. There is a very strong will to procreate. I once had all male yellow perch in a floating cage with free swimming females in the rest of the pond. The bottom of the cage was about 5 feet off the bottom attached to a pier. I used zip ties to put the cage material together and had one piece of excess zip tie sticking out of a bottom corner about 6 inches. From the outside a female perch swam up and draped her 2 foot egg strand on that piece of protruding zip tie. No doubt the males in the cage probably inundated it with milt.

I also once topped off an adjacent pond with water from another pond I was hatching yellow perch in. I used a trash pump and the perch fry evidently were able to survive going through the trash pump as I had perch in the pond that wasn't supposed to have perch when I seined it a few months later.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.