FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628727 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1395 on: Mar 16, 2013, 06:50 PM »
I've always been on the stream Trap. But you rekindled my love of fly fishing, tying and rod building.

I gave it up after I lost everything in a disastrous basement flood. It's been 10 years or so since that event and, thanks to you, the passion is alive and costing me money every day :-\

At my age (it's my birthday today...I'm 63) it's a great pastime. Nothing like stimulating the old brain pan with new ideas.

Thanks bud!

RG

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #1396 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Well...............  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1397 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Much appreciated.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

michfish

« Reply #1398 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:21 AM »
i am allway a day late and a dollar short any ways happy b-day rg.

also i am working on some ideas right now they will be in the vise sooner or later.. 

michfish

« Reply #1399 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:00 AM »
here is one i am trying to perfect a hendrickson emerger. i hope it is not to big of a picture? i use image thumb nail just click it it will get larger if it is right?

Chuckles

« Reply #1400 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:22 AM »
Good Morning All....   Happy St.Patty's Day

rgfixit....Happy Birthday

Well, I've made it to page 50 of the 93 pages (wooops 94 pages) of this thread.
My wife thinks I'm crazy because for no apparent reason I'll just burst out laughing.   
Some of your "one liners" are a riot.  Thanks rg for this last one.  " Your a good bunch or fly nutz."
(I think he meant  "of"   not   "or")   It's his B'Day forgive him, either that or he's got phat phingers.  :D :D 
I'm thinking I may have to introduce my grandson to fly tying and this "thread."

Later...Chuckles

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1401 on: Mar 17, 2013, 05:47 AM »
HAPPY  BIRTHDAY  YA  OLE  FART!!!!!! 

well  you  shared  the  fun  of  catching  ole  rubber  nose  with  me!  adding  a  whole  new  game  fish  to  chase  ;D......i  still  ain't  tried  cooking  one  ...  think i  might  smoke  one  and  taking  it  perch  fishing  with  KP  and  HT   ,tell  them  it's  stocked   european  land locked rubber  nose  salmon ,  let  them  test  it  out  :rotflol:

just  a  quickie   to  those  fishing  9  mile   early  season  a   natural  coloered  hars  ear  tied  loose  is  a  killer   as  is  a  tan  scud  ...

butternut    bead  head  pheasant tails  and  stones    along  with  a  quickly  stripped  muddler  .....  the   first  dries  usually  are   griffith gnat   followed   with  olives  ..have  both  ready   ;D
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

KingPerch

« Reply #1402 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:16 AM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

KingPerch

« Reply #1403 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:19 AM »
HAPPY  BIRTHDAY  YA  OLE  FART!!!!!! 

well  you  shared  the  fun  of  catching  ole  rubber  nose  with  me!  adding  a  whole  new  game  fish  to  chase  ;D......i  still  ain't  tried  cooking  one  ...  think i  might  smoke  one  and  taking  it  perch  fishing  with  KP  and  HT   ,tell  them  it's  stocked   european  land locked rubber  nose  salmon ,  let  them  test  it  out  :rotflol:

just  a  quickie   to  those  fishing  9  mile   early  season  a   natural  coloered  hars  ear  tied  loose  is  a  killer   as  is  a  tan  scud  ...

butternut    bead  head  pheasant tails  and  stones    along  with  a  quickly  stripped  muddler  .....  the   first  dries  usually  are   griffith gnat   followed   with  olives  ..have  both  ready   ;D
:sick: :nono: ;D NICE TRY YOU OL FART!! ;D
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

1morefish10990

« Reply #1404 on: Mar 18, 2013, 10:49 AM »
just started to teach myself this week on how to tie and these are my outcomes

michfish

« Reply #1405 on: Mar 18, 2013, 11:26 AM »
1morefish those are a great start if looking for advise you came to the right site.  but for sure you did good for a first tie. the more you do the better you get. i am still learning to this day lol's. 

here is some advise for new tiers:

the tails on nymph should be shank length the body should be thirds 2/3 tail part and the top 1/3 wing case. look up the proportion of flies it does help i use a 1x-2x long shank hook when tieing nymphs.  as for streamers the tails should be shank length like you have there.  and wings should be shank length to a shank and a half on streamers  . when you use these proportions it make the fly look symmetrical .  i all ways run the bobbin and thread up and over the shank only in that direction same with materials this way you never get lost if you stop and do some thing in between  tying . up and over is unidirectional. always start at the bend and end at the eye of the hook just some simple rule to remember to help you out. and tying symmetrical make flies look real.  to start the thread you tie on at the back of the hook by the bend and wrap five forward and five back over the first five this is called a lock wrap  for those that don't know it how to start the thread always. any ways best of luck guys...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1406 on: Mar 18, 2013, 03:35 PM »
Look up some Davie McFail YouTube videos. Also Fly Anglers Online is a terrific source of learning tools. I'm back there quite often to refresh my basic and advanced skills. Tons of patterns to play with.

Don't pay too much attention to specific materials at first. Use what you have and learn the basic mechanics and proportion of tying flies. Materials will come in time....lot's and lot's of materials.......tons in fact. I came home today to a fine bag of coyote belly fur scraps I bought over the weekend. I have muskrat and raccoon pelts on the way. Specifics for "Ausable Uglies".

Welcome to the addiction and please ask about anything you need to. We'll all help.

RG

1morefish10990

« Reply #1407 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:43 PM »
whats the first fly you will have on for opener

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1408 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:28 AM »

;D

oatkasut

« Reply #1409 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:46 AM »
That will work! Happy birthday belatedly. Can't wait to wet a fly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.