FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?  (Read 628903 times)

KingPerch

Re: Hey Fly Tiers...What's In The Vise?
« Reply #1800 on: Jul 14, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Very nice mouse ties! I know of some water those will work on just fine!!--KP 8)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1801 on: Jul 14, 2014, 07:05 PM »
I may have an idea on how a fly tier might use coyote and raccoon for a vision of that mouse. It looks as I might be rained out tomorrow. I'll see what I can whip up ;D

I love this retired life!

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #1802 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Are most of you guys buying your materials online? There's literally NO ONE within 50 mi. of my home that caters to fly fishermen and especially not anyone who likes to tie their own. The closest place I know of is in Ansonia PA about 60 mi. west of where I live or Dryden NY, about 65 mi. northeast of my home. I hate to buy materials online because I would rather hold and inspect what I buy beforehand and I hate to pay outrageous shipping on stuff that usually weighs nothing. I haven't been doing much tying since spring because I'm very limited on what I can tie due to materials on hand. I've thought about buying some stuff listed on Ebay...anyone have any pros/cons on that? Wish there was a local source that didn't take a half tank or more of gas to get to and from.  >:(  >:(

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

Gump

« Reply #1803 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Thanks guys !

Well.....dead mouse....

Now to get them on some brown trout waters

Simple recipe guys.  Size 4 streamer hook,  tail is rubber band....body starts with a layer craft foam to build up the body.....then it is wrapped/whorled with a natural color zonker/rabbit strip....then more craft foam for the back and head....

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

Gump

« Reply #1804 on: Jul 14, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Also have a simple 'Flip Flop Frog'...

Was at one of the local dollar stores last week and they had flip flops of all colors for a buck or two a pair......well I saw the Green and.......

This happened....

"Why do you go on these trips with me , Ed?"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1805 on: Jul 26, 2014, 10:48 AM »
My first shot at a detached body crane fly,

Might work.

rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1806 on: Jul 26, 2014, 11:51 AM »
wanna  pretty lucky  here  i'm not far  from  pulaski   with  shops  like  all  seasons   i  have  no problems   also  bass pro   ....  i really don't  buy much on line
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1807 on: Jul 26, 2014, 12:03 PM »
I buy moat everything I use online, much of it on eBay. I've not had any problems and found some great deals.

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1808 on: Jul 26, 2014, 02:02 PM »
Rg....I found a T shirt for you:

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1809 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Hahaha..   I just got a tee shirt like that last week for my bosses birthday.....  ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1810 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:21 PM »
Thanks buddy, Heineken all over my ipad :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Ya know, I tried to tell my former employer that before I retired......he just didn't get it.

I was out with the 2 wt this morning playing with the gills on the backyard stream. Man that little rod is fun to fish with. Played with the coachmen I tied up and coerced 40 or so gills into thinking it was something good to eat.  I found that I had to use some juice to keep them floating though. Probably a combination of the red floss body and a hook too heavy for that dry.  But, Loon Float Coat did the job.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1811 on: Jul 26, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Your boss's name is Bob?

Rg

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #1812 on: Jul 26, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Bob..New you'd like that one. ;D  Getting serious, you & Trap talk about the hopper bite for gills.  This time of year the bigger ones are obviously deeper.  Will they come up from say, 8-10' to the surface?  Best times early & late in the day?  I've never fished for them on the surface this late in the year & want to give it a try.  I've got some nice hoppers a friend of mine tied up for me.
John 

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1813 on: Jul 26, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Get after them over weed beds early and late into the day if you're fishing lakes or ponds. In the moving water, you need only wait till it warms up a bit and hoppers wake up.  I like to drift a hopper without any drag then skitter it across the surface stopping once in a while. When they hit, give them a second or 2 before setting the hook.

Anyway, that's what I do.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #1814 on: Jul 26, 2014, 08:48 PM »
the  good  terrestral  bite    (opinion)  really  gets  crazy  late  summer  ....hoppers  crickets  tent catterpillers  hornet  imitations (yellow jacket) ....  i'm pulling  gills  of the  surfice  in 5 to 15  foot of water  in the river now .....  play around  you'll have a ball  gills are most  forgiving and even if you do everything wrong you'll still catch fish
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.