FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: making your own sonar charts.  (Read 2233 times)

gearheart

making your own sonar charts.
« on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:05 PM »
A lot of the smaller lakes I fish do not have depth charts available.  The newer GPS / fishfinder combos look really tempting.  Are they capable of combining the gathered data to produce an electronic chart of the places you have been? With enough driving around it might be possible to get a decent idea of what the lake bottom is like.  Am I dreaming in technicolor, or is this now possible?

htc

Re: making your own sonar charts.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2014, 01:30 PM »

slamber

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:17 AM »
You have several choices; Auto Charts and Sonar Charts from the chip makers and Dr.Depth and Reefmaster from independent sources. Dr. Depth is the program that AutoCharts is based on and I don't know if the program is available still. Reefmaster is another option but I don't know how much about it. Navionics started creating charts last year (Sonar Charts). The difference bewteen Sonar Charts and the Humminbird (Lakemaster) Auto Charts is that Navionics creates the charts for you whereas the Auto Charts are created by you on your computer. Navionics uses your recordings that you upload to their website and then you download the new charts about a week later; downside is that you have to upload and then wait a week to download the charts and the charts are public for anyone to download (if your worried about someone stealing your spots). The system works ok and the charts are decent, especially for lakes that don't have anything else. They have had issues with some lakes not downloading all of the detail that is available; I'm still waiting for them to fix my local lake that I spent last season working on. The AutoChart system has just been released (they are shipping the first chips as we type), so no one knows what the bugs will be or how well it will work. Additionaly in order for your Humminbird to be able to display the AutoCharts it will have to be upgraded to the newest 6.9 software which is only now being released for the newest units; for the older units it will be July or later. The cool thing about the AutoCharts is that your I-pilot Link will be able to use the charts for the Follow the Contour.

JMZ

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:15 PM »
I just bought a Garmin echomap 50 sonar and chartplotter. It comes with Lakeview Lakes but only 33 are in PA. Many are in NY and around US. It is also compatible with Bluechart G2. Does anyone know where I can get maps for this unit? Do you think the autochart progrm will work with it?
Milita Member of Iceshanty.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.