FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: shore fishing the river in quapelle  (Read 10954 times)

fishin fanatic

shore fishing the river in quapelle
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:00 PM »
anyone got info, I always see ppl off the highway and the odd boat in there any info appreciated.

Big Burk

Re: shore fishing the river in quapelle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 02:57 PM »
good spots try the dam, and all three bridges seem to produce for me. im heading back out there this weekend and will report where they are hitting and what species. i spend alot of time fishing this river and rarely get skunked, its a good river with alot of fish. anybody know if the stop logs are in at the dam yet? i've been going crazy waiting for the carp start feeding by the dam. you can also rent a canoe or kayak from the tackle shop  in town, they are perfect for the river but wouldnt recomened using one on the river for another month or so until it slows down, its really flowing fast right now.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 03:51 PM »
ok thx il have to see if i can locate these dams, lots of the time i just look to see where ppl are active and try there.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:38 PM »
ok I am newer to the area so pardon my stupidity! How would i find the dam and when you say bridges which bridges are these? and what outher species besides carp are abundant in the river I enjoy walleye so I was wondering if they were in there to ??

Big Burk

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:03 PM »
there are alot of nice sized walleyes in the river along with lots of pike, suckers, carp and the occasional rockbass, bullhead or channel cat. the walleye aint co-operating quite yet on the river but at the dam we were catching suckers on twister tails early morning till about 9:30 and around dusk.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Nice going Big Burk, suckers are a good fish to catch.  8)
The few I have caught have always put up a good fight for there size.
I have never tried Mr. Twisters for them,  but, I caught them on worms.
It's good to know they will bite artificial lures as well. :)

Fishing fanatic, I have seen a few folks fishing near the dam in Fort Qu'Appelle, but have never tried it myself.
This dam is on Boundary Ave, just South and a bit West of highway #56.

If you try there you probably will have to fish a few m from it,{ usually not allowed to fish right next to manmade structures}.

Good fishing to you.    >*})))>{

I still have to get out this season.  ::)
Hopfully if everything works out next weekend. ;D

Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Big Burk

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 01:11 AM »
you can fish right by the dam you just have to be upstream of it. i've never seen someone get in trouble for fishing upstream only downstream of it. the walleye should start biting real soon :)

fishin fanatic

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 10:56 PM »
was up from the dam the outher day the suckers were active caught one more of a snag. this was up from the dam ovcoarse as you must be atleast 25 m downstream to fish, moved westward to river mouth and i manages a pike for dinner not the best but better than being skunked, by the way i was useing 1/4 oz jig head spinner attached and a berkley power grub(WHITE)find they work well in winter>....

Big Burk

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:49 AM »
white grubs are my go to lure when fishing that river, it always catches something. glad to hear you caught something. in a week or two the walleye's should be out in full force, just need the stop logs in at the dam and the fishing shall be great.

fishin fanatic

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 11:07 AM »
i cant wait for the logs.....

Water Wolf

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Good to hear you found a few fish, fishin fanatic.

Big Burk, what is the depth of the river in that area, and is the bottom smooth, or full of snags? :-\

WW

fishin fanatic

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 06:43 PM »
Well I decided to try my luck for a second time, still crap loads of suckers swimming around side pools is where the seem to be bunching up but had no luck with anything not even a measly pike this time but i only spent an hours worth of effort....

Big Burk

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19 AM »
Good to hear you found a few fish, fishin fanatic.

Big Burk, what is the depth of the river in that area, and is the bottom smooth, or full of snags? :-\

WW
the depth is anywhere from 2ft-8ft. the deeper water has alot of rocks and the shallow water is mostly sand.

Water Wolf

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 04:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Big Burk.
The river is shallower than I would have guessed.

WW

Big Burk

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 12:21 AM »
there are some deeper spots on the river i think 12 ft was the deepest i seen on the fishfinder but cant remember. i will be back out there in two weeks and will have more info on the river. im gonna try and map most the river and get find where the walleye's have been hiding.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.