FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water temps  (Read 2855 times)

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
Re: Water temps
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:23 PM »
^^^^^  Great post but what on earth is a "silver bass"?

Very similar to a white perch, my brother fishes them in the Arkansas river. If I remember correctly he calls them Wipers

Mac Attack

« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Very similar to a white perch, my brother fishes them in the Arkansas river. If I remember correctly he calls them Wipers

yup, they look similar but white perch taste like crap.

We keep the white (silver) bass up until about the end of June when the water is still pretty cold.
After it warms up over 60 they appear to get mushy.
Besides, we get tons of walleye and perch so there's no real need to safe the silvers.

Steve H.

« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Oh yes, thank you.  I know them as white bass and used to catch them certain times of year from the Chattahoochee River in Georgia.  Didn't know they were in the Great Lakes.

I though you might be referring to white perch, which are silvery and part of the true bass family.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Seahunt

• Coffin Dodger @ IS
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2020, 12:40 PM »
There's a lot of planer boards used on Winni and the other NH big lakes. Plenty used on Champ and Lake O in the spring for browns. Jethro, your boards would be a lot heavier than Otter boards. Probably have more drag which is a good thing. A lot of people using Otter boards don't have them set up right. The mast or masts is critical.
Nice history lesson and info, Mac.
Your white perch must not taste like our white perch! Ours are very tasty. 

AquaAssassin

« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2020, 01:15 PM »
Oh yes, thank you.  I know them as white bass and used to catch them certain times of year from the Chattahoochee River in Georgia

Was it hotter than a Hoochee coochee?
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2020, 02:59 PM »
There's a lot of planer boards used on Winni and the other NH big lakes. Plenty used on Champ and Lake O in the spring for browns. Jethro, your boards would be a lot heavier than Otter boards. Probably have more drag which is a good thing. A lot of people using Otter boards don't have them set up right. The mast or masts is critical.
Nice history lesson and info, Mac.
Your white perch must not taste like our white perch! Ours are very tasty.

Yep, I have a big planer mast, 6 feet. Really makes a difference when trying to get way out there with leadcore.

Steve H.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Was it hotter than a Hoochee coochee?

d**n straight it got hot down there.  Only place I've ever been bow fishing and jug fishing (not on the same day).  Lots of weird fish in that river.  And yes, that Georgia heat is d**n hot.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

AquaAssassin

« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2020, 03:33 PM »
d**n straight it got hot down there.  Only place I've ever been bow fishing and jug fishing (not on the same day).  Lots of weird fish in that river.  And yes, that Georgia heat is d**n hot.

;D
It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

When you’re good at something, you’ll tell everyone. When you’re great at something, they’ll tell you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.