FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trailer tires  (Read 5114 times)

robbi

Trailer tires
« on: Jul 01, 2014, 11:44 PM »
About three/four years ago I put new redial tires on my boat trailer.  Today I was fixing the fenders and noticed that my tires are wearing on the inside 2 inches.  While there is plenty of tread on the tire.......the inside is getting worn badly.  Is this normal?  Possibly a bent axle?  Another problem?  I almost always run my tires at max air, 50lbs.   I know some of you have a lot of years with boats/trailers and have seen this same problem.  Any info would be appreciated.

Also someone told me that I can't swap the tires around and put the worn part on the outside because they are radials........true?

robbi

Re: Trailer tires
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2014, 11:45 PM »
About three/four years ago I put new redial tires on my boat trailer.  Today I was fixing the fenders and noticed that my tires are wearing on the inside 2 inches.  While there is plenty of tread on the tire.......the inside is getting worn badly.  Is this normal?  Possibly a bent axle?  Another problem?  I almost always run my tires at max air, 50lbs.   I know some of you have a lot of years with boats/trailers and have seen this same problem.  Any info would be appreciated.

Also someone told me that I can't swap the tires around and put the worn part on the outside because they are radials........true?

crappie cowboy

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2014, 02:11 AM »

robbi...I don't see why you couldn't swap them around, If that was the case, why can't you take the tire off the rim, and turn them the other direction and put it on the other side..?

fishlessman

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:26 AM »
when mine started to do that it was the axle tubing rotting out on the inside and was barely noticeable when looking underneath for rot. you could easily see it bellying though. i had to reinforce the whole axle.

jezzhuntin

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:38 AM »
I don't know about swapping the tires, but I would take your trailer in to check the alignment.  Couple years ago a truck and horse trailer ran over a retread and kicked it in front of my rig.  I avoided it with the truck, but the left side trailer fender got whacked.  2 weeks later I took a trip to ID, when I got there my tread was brand new on the outside and nearly bald on the center.  Got home took it to the shop, had it realigned and new tires put on and the tires still look brand new and that's after lots of trips to Peck and elsewhere. 

I always run my trailer tires PSI according to weight.  If everything is normal I run 10 PSI back of max.  If I have an unusually heavy load I will put them just a few PSI back of max PSI. 

pastaboy

• Bites don't feed the bulldog!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Robbi, mine did that too, they are over-inflated. I run mine about 40 pounds and am getting better tire wear and my boat and trailer do not "bounce" all over the place when I hit bumps in the road.
Lord, bless us all with your plentiful bounty which you have provided for us and keep us all safe during our journey. Amen.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Rotating radial tires from side to side reverses the direction they rotate.
The belts in the tire move from rotating and the heat they see over time.
This "shifts" them in one direction.
Rotating them side to side then causes the belts to "shift" into the opposite direction.
On a car or truck you will notice it in the steering wheel if on the front and you will also hear it or feel a vibration.
Doesn't always happen.
Might only happen to 1 out of the 4 tires on a vehicle.
I have had it happen a couple times on vehicles.
On a trailer it is out back and you might not notice anything going on.
But that doesn't mean it isn't happening.
I would not rotate from side to side.
I have also heard it could cause the tire to have a blowout at high speed.
What is your rig worth?  2 new tires?
What is your time spent sitting on the side of the road or highway worth?

Over inflation causes tires to wear in the center.

Under inflation causes tires to wear on the otside - BOTH sides.  Not just one.

Tire wear on the inside of both tires on a trailer is typically caused by overloading the trailer to cause the axle to bend or flex slightly and the tops of the tires then tilt in toward each other.
Boat trailers are notoriously sized marginal by dealers and boat manufacturers to keep cost down.
Most boat trailers don't see a ton of miles.  Most boat trailers.  Some only to get the boat into and out of the slip in the spring and the fall.
An empty boat and low fuel in it and you are typically OK with the standard trailer the boat package came with.
But start adding gear into the boat.
Fuel, coolers with ice and beverages, kicker motors, extra batteries weigh about 70 pounds, electric trolling motors, fishing gear, skis, extra anchors, canvas, etc.
You get the picture.

When I bought my Lund last year I had the dealer increase the trailer to the next highest capacity.
The dealer is an old friend and knows that I knew what I was doing, so he did it without even questioning.
But now I have peace of mind for long hauls.

Good luck.
Mac

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2014, 11:13 AM »

When I bought my Lund last year I had the dealer increase the trailer to the next highest capacity.

This!   My dad did exactly this when we bought our lund back in '92.

I don't understand why some marine dealerships let boats leave the lot on trailers that aren't appropriate.   My buddy bought a saltwater boat with a hull weight of 1800lbs...Yankee boat works put it on a KCB1800 trailer...a trailer with 1800lbs of capacity...    so fully loaded, your looking at an actual weight of 2800lbs+.    what a surprise when we looked up the trailer capacity, 3 roasted hubs and 2 blown tires later...

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2014, 11:28 AM »
This!   My dad did exactly this when we bought our lund back in '92.

I don't understand why some marine dealerships let boats leave the lot on trailers that aren't appropriate.   My buddy bought a saltwater boat with a hull weight of 1800lbs...Yankee boat works put it on a KCB1800 trailer...a trailer with 1800lbs of capacity...    so fully loaded, your looking at an actual weight of 2800lbs+.    what a surprise when we looked up the trailer capacity, 3 roasted hubs and 2 blown tires later...

.........also springs, frame, etc.

Right Lance!

JayHelfrich

• My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2014, 11:52 AM »
Is it just one tire or both tires equally?  With a solid bar axle there is always some flex.  If your boat is at the upper end of the max weight for your axle you will see some wear on the inside of the tires as the axle flexes (middle down and ends up causing inside wear) from the boat weight.  Outside only or outside one and inside other is generally tire scrub from bent axle or miss aligned axle.  Middle only and no outer wear is generally over inflation and both inside and outside is from under inflation.

Jay
Take a kid fishing now and they will return the favor later!

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Jul 02, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Tire wear on the inside of both tires on a trailer is typically caused by overloading the trailer to cause the axle to bend or flex slightly and the tops of the tires then tilt in toward each other.
Boat trailers are notoriously sized marginal by dealers and boat manufacturers to keep cost down.
Most boat trailers don't see a ton of miles.  Most boat trailers.  Some only to get the boat into and out of the slip in the spring and the fall.
An empty boat and low fuel in it and you are typically OK with the standard trailer the boat package came with.
But start adding gear into the boat.
Fuel, coolers with ice and beverages, kicker motors, extra batteries weigh about 70 pounds, electric trolling motors, fishing gear, skis, extra anchors, canvas, etc.
You get the picture.

The dealer is an old friend and knows that I knew what I was doing, so he did it without even questioning.
But now I have peace of mind for long hauls.

Good luck.
Mac

Yep, or replace the current axle with a cambered one.  Many small boat trailers come with a straight axle, like mine, and that is an issue.  But, i don't put a lot of miles on my trailer, and the steel belted radials last a long time.  Replacing them is a lot cheaper than those on the towing vehicle!

robbi

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 2014, 01:29 PM »
That all makes sense guys........thanks.  It is both left and right inside.  One is worse than the other, but not by a lot.  I'm thinking the trailer is 21 years old and the boat is probably at the peak of the weight limit.......might just be splayed out.......

BLACK ICE

« Reply #12 on: Jul 02, 2014, 02:54 PM »

Sounds like an axle problem to me also.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jul 02, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Go look at the other thread you got running on this topic.

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=64766.0

robbi

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2014, 07:39 PM »
Wow......Thanks for all the info.  I am going to take it in next week and have someone look at it.  Our roads in Montana are not the kindest on equipment for sure and with a fully loaded boat it wouldn't be hard to tweak something...

I'll let you know what I find out..........

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.