FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Suggestions on spinning rod for stream trout fishing  (Read 1304 times)

O

Suggestions on spinning rod for stream trout fishing
« on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:32 PM »
I have a two piece rod that is at least 30 years old, and I lost the top 2” inches of it a while ago.  I put a new eye on the tip, but it has never been the same.  So I am looking for a decent stream rod for trout.  I am thinking 6’ long, ultra light and 1 piece.   I took a look around Gander but nothing caught my eye. 

Open to suggestions and your favorite brands.

Thanks

claymore6

Re: Suggestions on spinning rod for stream trout fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2021, 08:56 PM »

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2021, 10:34 PM »
Cabela's Tourney trail is a great rod.

krispcritter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2021, 04:10 AM »
I have always been a fan of Ugly Stick.
To make small fortune in business, start with a large one.

Timmydann

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I have two 7 foot light action shakespeare rods from walmart, use them to catch everything from perch to steelhead, you might want a shorter one for stream fishing, 5.5 to 6 foot, light or ultra light action

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2021, 08:33 AM »
 I fish many brushy streams , I use a 1 piece Shimano Convergence 5’ UL fast ,lots of back bone , matched with Pflueger 20 president
 They make longer

slipperybob

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2021, 11:14 AM »
I am a St. Croix fanboy and Ugly Stik fanboy for a long time.  I still use my very old St. Croix Premiere 6' Light action rod and also an Ugly Stik Lite 5'9" ML action rod.  The Ugly Stik is for trekking through rough terrain.  If the access is easy it will be the St. Croix Premiere 6'.  I actually had the very tip guide broken off so it's glued back on as 5'11" rod and still works.

If I had to buy a rod for stream fishing right now I probably look at one of the St. Croix Panfish or Trout series spinning rod.  However due to Covid, it seems that availability of rods this year can be limited.
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

O

« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2021, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I love St Croix rods too, that would be my fist choice.  I looked on Cabelas (where I have a lot of points to use up) and they were either sold out or were 2 pieces or did not have a UL.  I did buy a BPS 6’9” UL 1 piece with a fast action.  I’ll see if I like it enough to keep.  I’d rather buy something in person, but there doesn’t seem to be what I am looking for in stock.    I have 1 more place to look, he gets in used rods on occasion and may have something else for me to look at.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2021, 05:16 PM »
St. Croix  are pretty brittle for a brushy stream  better off with an IM-6 or ugly stick.   No need for extreme finesse when the stream isn’t 10 yards wide.

Just my take.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2021, 06:19 PM »
St. Croix  are pretty brittle for a brushy stream  better off with an IM-6 or ugly stick.   No need for extreme finesse when the stream isn’t 10 yards wide.

Just my take.

Rg

I'm with you on this RG. A brushy stream can be hard on a rod. I have found the Ugly Stick to be bullet proof.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.