FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Halibut season is here!  (Read 1610 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
Halibut season is here!
« on: May 20, 2022, 11:14 AM »
Yesterday was opening day. I here a unconfirmed fish being landed off of Vinelhaven that was 191 lbs.
Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

lowaccord66

Re: Halibut season is here!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 06:41 PM »
Thats awesome, how many miles offshore for those bad boys?

Scalloper

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2022, 06:11 AM »
Not far in this area (Downeast) 1 mile or less in some areas. Here are three that were caught yesterday. First one was 110 lbs 67”. 2ed one not sure. And 3ed one not sure probably 30-35 lbs.

Scalloper

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 06:15 AM »
The first 90 degree day we get I will take my Duckworth out again and give it a shot. I bought three really nice rods and put Torium reels on them. I use upto 3 lbs of weight at times when I am down to 250-300’.
But there are places inside Libby Island, Machias Bay and Little Machias Bay that is 80-150’ deep with very little tide that also hold fish.

Scalloper

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 06:19 AM »
We should put pressure on state officials to have a recreational season so we can go throughout the summer. After all, your tax dollars pays for the management of this fishery. Why shouldn’t recreational fishers have access other then during the commercial season? With a recreational license we only get 5 tags we should be able to fill them anytime throughout the summer. This would have very little if any impact on the stock.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2022, 07:10 AM »
Scalloper I use to try to battle the ASMFC on striper regs.  Commericials lobby them heavily. Recs dont stand a chance.  If I want more stripers I get a Mass commercial license.  Id like to drag my boat up and get one of those halibat.  Is it a lottery for the license or just buy one?  Reminds me I need to renew my HMS permit.  Boats getting new bottom paint at the moment.

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2022, 08:42 AM »
That’s awesome! Good luck gentleman if you get out for them!

CF

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2022, 11:45 AM »
The first 90 degree day we get I will take my Duckworth out again and give it a shot. I bought three really nice rods and put Torium reels on them. I use upto 3 lbs of weight at times when I am down to 250-300’.
But there are places inside Libby Island, Machias Bay and Little Machias Bay that is 80-150’ deep with very little tide that also hold fish.
Planning a flat calm day in this area. Where would you recommend to set up? I've got two rods rigged with drop shot configurations. Have sonar. Might chum with chopped alewives. Not sure there's a point in that though...I'm thinking the edges of structure and narrows like deer and togue kinda. I'm told sand and gravel bottom along edges..  They have been caught up inside the bay as well. (I haven't forgot about the perch eeethah!)
Formerly CLAMFARMER

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2022, 10:21 PM »
Wow must be like pulling up a door sideways!  Thanks for sharing!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.