FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Garden time!!!  (Read 38804 times)

slipbob

Re: Garden time!!!
« Reply #45 on: Aug 23, 2004, 02:11 PM »
I raided the family garden this weekend and looky what I got.
[/img]
In the background of this one are my two feet.  I don't know why but my girlfriend insisted on my feet being in the photo. :P
[/img]
Anyhoo there is some good eatin here.

slipbob

« Reply #46 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:32 PM »
Okay let's dig this one up again, no pun intended.  ;D  This was Saturday as I was working the garden over with the old Troy Bilt Pony getting her ready.  Got some nice compost mixed in here again this spring and the soil is looking good.   These rototillers aren't exactly comfortable to use if you're 6'3".  Not good for the back.  :P  On the bottom right you can see part of my spinach and lettuce patch that had been under a nice cold frame all winter and it got off to a nice start.  I planted it in late September so it would overwinter.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #47 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:50 PM »
That's some mighty rich looking soil there slip.

slipbob

« Reply #48 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:54 PM »

Thanks Roy.  I had to bring some good soil in because the part of Saratoga County I'm in is pure sand.  You could dig all day and not find one rock :o  It just doesn't have any organic matter in it to hold water or nutrients for gardening.  Compost and aged horse manure is key. 

slipbob

« Reply #49 on: Apr 12, 2006, 02:02 PM »
didn't you move?  you gardening somewhere other than home?

I'm closing on the new house May 5th the day before walleye season opens and moving late May to early June.  I'm only moving 2 miles down the road and I'm keeping this duplex where the garden is now as an investment.  My plan is just to keep the garden here that I've got going for this year and start the new garden at the new house in the fall.  It's nice because it's so close and I've worked too hard on this garden to just give her up.  I will have almost 6 acres at the new place so I can have that "dream garden" I've always wanted and have the room to do corn and a large potato crop.   :thumbup_smilie:  I can't wait to grow my own sweetcorn but you really need the room for enough corn so you can get good cross pollination and a big tater crop eats up a lot of space too. 

Pikeguy

« Reply #50 on: Apr 12, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Lookin good Slipbob! Keep the pics coming.
The girlfriend informed me that we're having a garden this year. I will be doing the work of course ;) I'll have to direct some questions to you when I get started.

Chucker

« Reply #51 on: Apr 12, 2006, 04:37 PM »

Thanks Roy.  I had to bring some good soil in because the part of Saratoga County I'm in is pure sand.  You could dig all day and not find one rock :o  It just doesn't have any organic matter in it to hold water or nutrients for gardening.  Compost and aged horse manure is key. 

Why not some walleye and panfish carcasses?   ;D

slipbob

« Reply #52 on: Apr 12, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Why not some walleye and panfish carcasses?   ;D

Nah, how about just a bunch of dead BASS :w00t: 

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #53 on: Apr 12, 2006, 05:13 PM »
cant wait till the garden gets going here, nothing beat homegrown food

Fishing is life

MIRC!

Grandpa Jack

« Reply #54 on: Apr 13, 2006, 01:25 PM »
If the deer raise hell in your gardens Slip & Dwayne just get yourself some deer traps.The tenderloins are wonderful.

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #55 on: Apr 14, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Thanks for getting this thread going slip!  I hope to read some tips and provide some also!!  My garden is 5000 plus square feet, and provides me and family with a lot of tasty, nutricious goodies.

Tip #1.  I discovered this when I was planting corn for deer.  When you get the corn planted, overseed it with clover.  Clover is a legume and produces nitrogen at the roots.  The first time I did this was with Silver Queen seed, and the plants were like 12 feet high, and the ears were up near a foot long! 

Of course there are drawbacks.  For some gardens, this could be inviting rabbits or woodchucks, but if that is not the case for your garden, you will be happy with the results.

OC
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

slipbob

« Reply #56 on: Apr 14, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for getting this thread going slip! Tip #1.  I discovered this when I was planting corn for deer.  When you get the corn planted, overseed it with clover.  Clover is a legume and produces nitrogen at the roots.  The first time I did this was with Silver Queen seed, and the plants were like 12 feet high, and the ears were up near a foot long! 

Of course there are drawbacks.  For some gardens, this could be inviting rabbits or woodchucks, but if that is not the case for your garden, you will be happy with the results.

OC

Your more than welcome oc.  That's interesting about the green cover for corn.  I have a very large number of bunnies, turkeys and some deer at the new place so I will need to fence my garden but we'll see how it goes.  I would love to have a nice corn crop.   :)

If the deer raise hell in your gardens Slip & Dwayne just get yourself some deer traps.The tenderloins are wonderful.

What's a deer trap Jack?  You in my backyard with your rifle ;D  Don't worry I'll be putting some venison in my freezer this fall.   ;) 

Hood

« Reply #57 on: Apr 14, 2006, 06:15 PM »
OOO i see an uglyripe belgian giant tomato in there.... ::drooling::  ;D
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Bartman44

« Reply #58 on: Apr 16, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Bartman loves asparugus  ;)

ol crawdad

• ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE!!!
« Reply #59 on: Apr 20, 2006, 10:02 AM »
Hey Slip, can you give me some tips/directions on how your coldframe works?  I have never used one before...Thanks, OC
Oh Lord - there he is, it feels like a big one, please don\'t let me lose him, I\'ve never caught one this big before.  I\'ll try not to horse him, and if I land him, I promise to release him, and make a graphite replica, if my wife says it\'s ok.  Thank you for the Rapalas...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.