FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trollin for crappi  (Read 3578 times)

Iceflyer

Trollin for crappi
« on: Mar 08, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I got my cannon down rigger just before ice up.  I've only taken it out once which was more of a fact finding expedition than a fish finding one.  So let me ask a greenhorn question.  Do I troll in the channel or out side of it?  Lookin for some new fangdangled fun.  Hope this is it.   :flag:
Taking the path of least resistance makes both rivers and men...crooked.

twodogs

Re: Trollin for crappi
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Good question, the only way I have caught crappie is drifting and jigging but haven't tried trolling them up lets see what they come up with

WildOutdoorAddict

• Get the net!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Generally I don't think most people use a downrigger for crappie. Anytime I see anyone trolling for crappie they have multiple rods with jigs/minnows . some use a spider or fan pattern set up for their rods, depending on your local law and how many one person can use. Most body of water hold crappie throughout the water column and no need for a downrigger. But most people just cast a jig or drift until they get on a good school then anchor for a while.

tbirdbassr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Most times we troll for them we just throw out a dozen or so rods with different lengths of line out and a few different colors until we find what they want, not sure what you would use a down rigger  for we generally fishing 8 to 12 feet of water and running 1 to 2 mph.

greensider

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2011, 07:37 PM »
no down riger needed flat lines 2 inch twister tails ore maribou jigs very slow

Iceflyer

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2011, 05:33 PM »
This is cool, any other info would be appreciated. 

Here in ID we're allowed 2 poles max.  So....no spider rigs.  I did see a spider rig in TX and thought that looked like a fun way to fish.  The water I fish in goes down to 45 ft.  Fishing is usually smokin hot during spring time but in the summer they tend to hold in deeper basins.  I've been told by several people that when the crappie go deep they troll in 30 to 40 FOW.  I didn't ask, but I thought if I were to get down that far I had better use a down rigger.  If I'm mistaken no big deal...I'll use it for the other species of fish Im searching for.

BlueDuck

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2011, 09:22 AM »
I have had pretty good luck trolling for crappie here in Idaho.  I just use a Roadrunner with a crulytail or a small crank bait and troll slow. 

icehogger84

« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2011, 09:31 PM »
Hey flyer,

Several ways to troll shallow and deep. Don't rule out the use of splitshot sinkers either. If the crappie seem deep in the narrows I put on a couple of small (not tiny) splitshots to get down to them. Remember though, crappie are a forward and upwards looking fish. If you come in 5' or so above them with something that vibrates even a little most of the time they'll hit. However, I've caught crappie in the narrows at CJ in the middle only less than 10' below the surface. Anyway, just some more info from an old guy,  8)

Hogger
You can learn from other mistakes or you can learn from experience. But experience is a cruel headmaster and WILL repeat the lesson until it is LEARNED!!!

we3jeepers

• 3 is not a crowd!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2011, 01:42 AM »
when I was younger I caught a calico on a silver and blue hot n tot while trolling for 'eyes in NY
Mine Old Town Predator 13
G/F's:: Native Watercraft manta ray
Extra yak: 2012 Ocean Pink Venus 11
Daughter's: Old Town Heron 9XT

icehogger84

« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2011, 06:49 PM »
Got my first CJ crappie today...but it was the only one with the wind blowing about 20mph. Got 5 small perch and one 17" trout. Crappie was 13" not bad size if there are more to be caught this year like it....

Hogger

Sorry about the size of the pic. I resized it twice...hmmpff!
You can learn from other mistakes or you can learn from experience. But experience is a cruel headmaster and WILL repeat the lesson until it is LEARNED!!!

Iceflyer

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2011, 08:43 AM »
OK....THAT DOES IT!  THIS WEEKEND I'M GOING FISHIN!!! :w00t:

That's awesome Icehogger.  How in the world did you brave 20 mph winds?  Bank fishing possibly?

Good job buddy. :thumbup_smilie:

kozinkenny

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2011, 12:56 PM »
Icehogger84. We were there at CJ also trolling in the narrows in a friends Jet boat. We probally passed each other all day long. We launched at o-dark-thirty at the Air Force Marina.  And stayed until about 4:00pm. Next time I hope to meet up with you.
Good Fish'n, KozinKenny

icehogger84

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2011, 06:23 PM »
Hey Kozinkenny,

I was in the Tracker super guide V-16 greay/maroon w/ windshield. I'll bet you're right, we probably passed each other a couple of times. Guess I'll have to start flying my "shanty" flag until this site offers one, LOL.

Did you guys get anything up there?

Hogger

kozinkenny

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Yes Hogger, we caught Four trout. 3 were 2 lbs 17 1/2 " to 18 1/2". I caught a little 13 3/4 " and it had a F.A.G. Tag on it's dorsal fin. I'm sorry F.A.G.= (Fish and Game).  No crappie. We marked alot of fish in the narrows but other places we didn't mark anything.  When I put my own boat in, I think I will fly my Iceshanty flag. That is not a bad idea you had. At least it will keep us in contact.  I don't know to post pictures on here. Wish I did I would do so.
See ya soon.
Good Fish'n, KozinKenny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.