FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Biggest fish ever hooked  (Read 9209 times)

TroutFishingBear

Biggest fish ever hooked
« on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:44 PM »
The biggest fish I ever hooked was when I was fishing a really shallow, unknown, warm-water lake. I was throwing a lipless crank (cordell super spot rattiling ) and I had cought  a few nice bass. Well, I was retrieving near the bottom, when all of the sudden, it struck! The strike nearly ripped my arms off. I was using a medium action rod with a strong baitcasting reel spooled with 20 pound fireline. The fish was pulling, and spooling the baitcasting reel for about 6 seconds. Then, it snapped the 20 pound fireline!

It must have been one BIG BASS, because supposedly there are not many catfish in that lake, and if it was a cat, it wouldve had to have been a big one.

You guys tell your stories now, I will be pleased to here them

Bartman44

Re: Biggest fish ever hooked
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:02 PM »
400 pound bluefin tuna. It's not fishing, it's pure torture that I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy. Excellent instant weight loss program.

Caught some 100 pound plus yellowfin tuna and a 7 foot marlin which were much more reasonable.

On the freshwater scene, it had to be a carp. Many huge ones in the Hudson and lots of fun on light tackle.     

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:07 PM »
Hooked?  An over 10 ft. white sturgeon hooked on the Columbia river below Bonneville dam on a 14" shad.. didn't boat the fish and after an hours fight, broken rod, and sore muscles.  I called it a day!  It did make one increadable leap out of the water similar to a rainbow, trying to shake the 4 lb. wieght and hook.
Saltwater:  Caught was a 165 lb. Halibut this summer in Prince William Sound this summer that we dispatched with a shotgun and harpoon.
Freshwater:  62 lb. King Salmon caught in the Naknek River on a Magnum wigglewart, in southwest AK.  Took close to 45 min. to land, and net.  Loads o' fun! ;D

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:08 PM »
has to be a cow of a carp!
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

pot-belly-pike

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2004, 01:52 AM »
mine has to maybe a cross of  a muskie on lake alice    wisconsin  against maybe the nothern pike I lost out of the back of my buddys boat on oneida lake  but I will be back  I know where her stomping grounds are LOL

Steve
Smile it makes others wonder what your up to

~:+)

oh no fish-on i gotta get fishin

perchslayer25

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:01 AM »
32 pound samon...lake ontario
If your electronics don't say MarCum then you're already too far behind me to catch up!

Hollywood

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2004, 07:09 AM »
My favorites are the ones I did'nt see. Whatever that was in Keuka lake I hooked around midnight fishing under my homemade lights in 110'(guessing 20 lb. + brown or laker) Whatever it was that spooled me on fish creek...... One I did see-the 27" or so brown I lost 3 times one year in a creek you can step across in most places. Big is relative to where your fishing-a 10" brookie is a monster in some places.

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:12 AM »
Either a pike or muskie, on the St Lawrence River. I was bouncing a Wally Diver along the sand/rocks in about 2 feet of water...crystal clear, typical of the river. Anyway, I was bringing it in, and I stopped it in front of a dock. As soon as I stopped, the fish bolted out, grabbed the lure, and just sat there. As soon as I set the hook, it ran on me. I fought it for a minute, but it ended up snapping me off. Like I said, it was either a muskie, or a HUGE pike.

-Zach

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2004, 09:42 AM »
Hey Chen what are you doing out of School? LOL
""TIGHT LINES"

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:10 AM »
dachmation- its called spring break, I'm out on it also :P

;D

icefishnh

« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:18 PM »
my biggest fish was a 6.5lb smallmouth caught while going for bluegills. and for saltwater itd have to be a 9lb cod(dont get out saltwater fishing too much)
I like big fish and I cannot lie!

grumpymoe

« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2004, 03:36 PM »
free willy!! thats how he got his name!! ;D ;D ;D

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2004, 05:43 PM »
Actually Dach, I've been sick since Thursday. I did manage to sneak in 7-8 hours on the ice yesterday though. :P I was feeling better, but the non-stop wind (30mph+) must have flared it back up. :-\

Spring Break is in April.

-Zach

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2004, 12:16 PM »
I don't know, it broke me off! It gets bigger every year! ;D 

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I don't know, it broke me off! It gets bigger every year!;D 

ya i'd say everyone's has at least gotten bigger by about 5 lbs ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.