FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lithium 100 ah battery  (Read 15976 times)

Mac Attack

Re: Lithium 100 ah battery
« Reply #45 on: Apr 21, 2021, 10:37 PM »
I have minnkota's latest and greatest...4 bank, 100% sealed and will do lithium batteries not just agms. Works great.  Just plug in at the air bnb or hotel and I'm good to go.

Not sure what Mac is smoking (it's legal now!) but there's a number of sealed multi bank chargers out there that are very nice.

Waterproof basically means you can toss it overboard while plugged in and it will still operate.
Water resistant means it will live in a marine environment.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #46 on: Apr 22, 2021, 09:43 AM »
I have minnkota's latest and greatest...4 bank, 100% sealed and will do lithium batteries not just agms. Works great.  Just plug in at the air bnb or hotel and I'm good to go.

Not sure what Mac is smoking (it's legal now!) but there's a number of sealed multi bank chargers out there that are very nice.

Yeah I got a Minn Kota Precision 3 bank and the documents it came with said it's completely waterproof. Sure looks sealed to me. Minn Kota says you can charge lithium batts with it on the AGM mode.

Mac Attack

« Reply #47 on: Apr 22, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Yeah I got a Minn Kota Precision 3 bank and the documents it came with said it's completely waterproof. Sure looks sealed to me. Minn Kota says you can charge lithium batts with it on the AGM mode.

I'm on a lithium battery board Geoff.
People on there, many that are FAR more electrically savy than myslef, say that it isn't a good idea to use standard chargers for LiFePo4 batteries, even if the battery company claims to be able to do it.
They say to use the charger specifically designed for that BMS in your LiFePo4 battery, whichever it is.
There are tons of reasons they give, but the largest is that they are made to operate together and will lead to the longest life of the battery.
Being that these batteries are major bucks, I will err on the side of caution and use the one recommended and supplied by my bettery supplier.
Even if it isn't waterproof/resistant.
The chargers I bought have cooling fans in them and are no way sealed.
But they will located down in my cuddy and away from any direct water.

Now, I bought a 2nd 8amp charger, for use when I retire down in Florida.
I plan on taking the battery with me winters down there to be used on my pontoon boat.
I will buy a 36VDC Terrova ipilot for it (not an Ulterra).
This will give me double duty on the battery and has helped me to justify the huge cost of it.
Anyway, I will have to figure out a way to isolate the charger from rain and moisture without overheating it.
Unsure yet, but I'll figure it out.
With the salt water I will be in, it will probably be best for me to simply haul it out of my storage shed as needed and simply plug it into things on temporary basises.
The BMS in the battery has the bluetooth option that allows me to use a fee app I downloaded to my smartphone.
This app allows me to monitor the battery level while using it and also while charging.
So I can plug in when it gets down to 20-30%.
But more importantly it allows me to go out and pull it off the battery when it finishes charging and the battery is at 100%.
Cool feature.

swnoel

« Reply #48 on: Apr 22, 2021, 11:18 AM »

That's the one I have and it works great for my lithium batteries.

Mac Attack

« Reply #49 on: Apr 22, 2021, 11:44 AM »
My new Minn Kota 3 bank for the 2 main motor batteries and the trailer winch deep cycle.

Notice the asterisk -

Jethro

« Reply #50 on: Apr 22, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Yes, I would certainly do whatever the lithium battery manufacturer says, those things are too expensive to risk. I have the same charger just 10 amps per bank.

I ended up wiring my Strongarm power winch to the truck. That's how I had my last truck wired.

Mac Attack

« Reply #51 on: Apr 22, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Yes, I would certainly do whatever the lithium battery manufacturer says, those things are too expensive to risk. I have the same charger just 10 amps per bank.

I ended up wiring my Strongarm power winch to the truck. That's how I had my last truck wired.

This winch needed a minum of 650 CCA.
(It's a brute!!)
I couldn't find a plug rated to handle the current.
So I mounted a deepcycle rated at 650 CCA to the trailer for it.
Works!

Jethro

« Reply #52 on: Apr 23, 2021, 08:05 AM »
Wow, yeah that thing is a beast alright. My Strongarm is a boat specific winch and only meant for horizontal pulling. It came with the harness and plug and it looks like it's only 10ga wire.

lowaccord66

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2021, 02:20 PM »

Waterproof basically means you can toss it overboard while plugged in and it will still operate.
Water resistant means it will live in a marine environment.

I've tested mine to be waterproof.  Dont ask...

lowaccord66

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2021, 02:22 PM »
My new Minn Kota 3 bank for the 2 main motor batteries and the trailer winch deep cycle.

Notice the asterisk -

Great point Mac.  For me if I were to switch from my setup I'd need to run 3 separate lithium batteries vs. 1 36v unit. 

Jethro

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Great point Mac.  For me if I were to switch from my setup I'd need to run 3 separate lithium batteries vs. 1 36v unit.

Why's that? Not enough room for one big battery? What size are your batteries now? I have room to do either, obviously prefer one for charging simplicity, just trying to consider what the best course of action is.

Mac Attack

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59 PM »
Why's that? Not enough room for one big battery? What size are your batteries now? I have room to do either, obviously prefer one for charging simplicity, just trying to consider what the best course of action is.

The 36VDC, 200ah, LiFePo2 battery we bought is a lot smaller than 3 series 31's.
It is only 15" long x 13.8" wide x 9.8" high
Also only weighs 150#

The 31's I just bought are 65# each (x3 = 195#)
31's are only 100ah
So you would need 6 of them to eaqual the one I bought.

Additionaslly, the 36V charger is 1/2 the size of both of my 3 bank 12 volt chargers and cost less.

lowaccord66

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2021, 07:31 AM »

The minnkota charger I have is a 4 bank not sure it will handle a single lithium.  I know it can do 4.

Mac Attack

« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2021, 09:42 AM »
The minnkota charger I have is a 4 bank not sure it will handle a single lithium.  I know it can do 4.

Each bank is only 12 volts.
It can charge one battery using only one bank but the battery must be 12 volts.

swnoel

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2021, 01:01 PM »
I got a really sweet deal.
Now if the battery would only show up.
 8)

Did the banana boat show up yet?  :D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.