FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rod recommendations  (Read 4055 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Rod recommendations
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2019, 10:58 AM »
This is like asking strangers to recommend your next wife!  I don't think there is a suitable recommendation really.  You have to try these things out and see what works best for you. 

Ive used most brands...and have a few customs built and I don't think there is a best one....

icefisher47

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2019, 11:31 AM »
This is like asking strangers to recommend your next wife!  I don't think there is a suitable recommendation really.  You have to try these things out and see what works best for you. 

Ive used most brands...and have a few customs built and I don't think there is a best one....

If I have anymore questions like this one I won’t ask it. I’ll try and figure it out on my own.
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2019, 12:00 PM »
If I have anymore questions like this one I won’t ask it. I’ll try and figure it out on my own.

That's extreme but it's an option.  It may work better than getting recommendations on rods when no one knows what species you are after from the bank...a rod for catfish is going to be much different from one for panfish. 

fishinjohn

« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:10 PM »

You are right in one minor aspect... not knowing the species hes after..
Otherwise.. I disagree with you.. I think its importannt to get others opinions on things like this ESPECIALLY WHEN YOURE A NEWBIE!!!
Icefisher.... dont let this post stop you from asking questions
We all have asked someone for advice..

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2019, 05:47 AM »
There's no right or wrong answer fishinjohn.  It's all a matter of opinions, personal preferences and budget.  However you did make my point for me in a sense.  In this case all of the advice given in this thread may be irrelevant because no one knows what hes fishing for or how he wants to fish.  With that in mind please explain how any of those opinions in this thread help?

icefisher47

« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2019, 07:24 AM »
I believe I had said that I was going to be fishing from the bank and wasn’t targeting any species directly. I’m coming off 2 back surgeries and was diagnosed with closed head trauma due to a injury at work. I know it’s late in the season and want to just catch fish. I believe I also said my budget was around 60 dollars. Now that I’m not working I can concentrate on fishing. Before work always came first and I didn’t get out much. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Take a kid fishing

fishinjohn

« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:12 AM »
With that in mind please explain how any of those opinions in this thread help?
Now this fella has options that he KNOWS guys like!!!!!
Now he can have a "grocery list" of models he can choose from that are suggested... That's all...
It's like this...
If I'm looking for a gun.. but have NO IDEA about guns at all... I ask... and guys say....
I like mossburg...  I like Remington... I love my binelli....
These 3 brands IM PROBABLY researching FIRST  before others...
No matter if it's for a shotgun or a rifle.. Turkey hunting OR moose hunting..
Same thing here with his rod question..
I totally missed that he had a budget of $60 or I wouldnt have suggested the gloomis rods but he still got a place to start his searching

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:38 AM »
Now this fella has options that he KNOWS guys like!!!!!
Now he can have a "grocery list" of models he can choose from that are suggested... That's all...
It's like this...
If I'm looking for a gun.. but have NO IDEA about guns at all... I ask... and guys say....
I like mossburg...  I like Remington... I love my binelli....
These 3 brands IM PROBABLY researching FIRST  before others...
No matter if it's for a shotgun or a rifle.. Turkey hunting OR moose hunting..
Same thing here with his rod question..
I totally missed that he had a budget of $60 or I wouldnt have suggested the gloomis rods but he still got a place to start his searching

Ok I get what you are putting down. I love gloomis too...except the warranty program...not so much fun there.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:00 AM »
I am a little late to the party here and I agree with both of you if that even makes sense. My 2 cents.

I have strangers and friends alike ask me for rod a reel recommendations quiet often. My first question to them is "what species are you TARGETING?" This help eliminate 50% of the rods automatically based on if they are fishing saltwater or freshwater. You can then get even more selective because you do not want to use a trout rod for carp or vise versa.... I think you get my point here on dialing in the species to the rod action and power which is what Jon is saying. My next question is " what is your price range or maximum spending?". Just because I love St. Croix and FX Custom does not mean that the persons budget will allow them to use the same. With this, comes experience by personally trying a bunch of different levels of rods. From that I can only SUGGEST what rods to use from my past experiences but it does help the buyer by having some sort of backbone when searching, like John mentioned. To add to that, if someone says that they "just want to go fishing", and I can identify its freshwater from any species from blue gills to bass to even carp, I would recommend a Med power Fast action rod as it can handle just about all of these species based on angler experience. If I know the person will beat the rod up, I tell them Ugly Stick, if they will take care of the rod, I will recommend others.

Now with all of that said, there is always still personal preference even once you dial all of that down but at that point it is up to the person with the $$ to pull the trigger. Like most things fishing, most of our "tools" are designed to catch the angler vs performance while actually fishing.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.