FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley Gulp  (Read 8516 times)

vancouvercanuck

Berkley Gulp
« on: May 05, 2004, 11:01 AM »
Our walleye fisheries are opening on Saturday and I was wanting to buy some Gulp to try out on the lake i'm going too. My question to you people are: has anyone tried it yet for the eyes? Those of you that have what are you favorites to use? I want to go out and buy some today. Thinking maybe the nightcrawlers maybe?
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

slipbob

Re: Berkley Gulp
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Try em vc.  I first tried the gulps last fall and caught a large number of eyes on them at least 100 or so but I found better success with mister twister exudes.  I'm talking 3" twister tails here.  Color is a tough one and greatly depends on the lake and water clarity. 

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 10:39 PM »
They work when fished as lures, but not as a substitute for natural bait. For fishing bait, go natural always. Works better everytime.
The gulp twister tails are great walleye lures though. The minnows work good fished soft jerkbait style for bass.

Tyler

slipbob

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 01:54 PM »
Hey VC.  Did you get some gulps if so make sure you write and tell us how they panned out for ya. eh!

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 10:59 AM »
They work very well but  are pretty expensive to use in the long run.  You can not re-use 'em and put them back in the bag,  they tear much easier than mr twister and you can not move them to the plaino box because they will dry up.  Even while fishing, you need to keep the one you have on your jig wet at all times,  otherwise it will dry up in several minutes and you can toss it out. It comes out at $0.33 a piece for the 3"size  i figure.                                   J
GONE FISH'G.......

slipbob

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 12:29 PM »
JigAwhopper your are right about the gulp's needing to be wet.  Ever have one dry out completely (overnight) on your jig head and then try to get that sucker off the hook. Ha good luck get out the scissors.  It is strange stuff but again I'm not sold on it.  It catches fish but nor more than powerbait tails or exudes.

JigAwhopper

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Hey slipbob,   i wanted to try gulp,  to see if it works.  I got a sampler from Berkley,  when there was a link on iceshanty about it.  I left the bag half closed and they all dried up ???,  I knew then there was a problem.  But I got two packs of curly tails anyways,  fished them and I don't see much of a difference.  I'll stick with extrude brand I think,  just as stinky but a lot more durable.  And the most important thing is that you can re-use them.  Save some greens in the long run  ;D                            J.
GONE FISH'G.......

slipbob

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2004, 11:29 AM »
JigAwhopper my gulp buying days are done.  I have lots of bags of tails that I keep tightly sealed but the exudes have been doing just fine.  You are right about the durability of the exudes they can go through a bunch of marble eyes and still stay on the jighead in your car overnight and be thrown back out the next night and catch more eyes on the same tail.  I like that feature, with gulps you're screwed it's once and you are done.  The berkley power grubs are okay but not very durable they seem to get torn up quick and don't last at all without splitting apart.  I am sold on exudes.  It's funny how things come full circle because years ago when I was a kid mistertwisters were revolutionary, and now all these scented plastics have come along but it's back to the original old reliable company that started the whole soft plastic revolution years ago.

Jigwiggler

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2004, 01:09 PM »
Boy, maybe I got a bad batch or something.  You guys really have luck on Exudes?  I bought 3 packs of tubes last summer to try and I couldn't buy a bite on them.  Switched back to the Berkley Power Bait tubes and it was fish galore. ???  I may have to give them another shot.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

friendly fishing

• Keep the fish on the hook
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 01:19 PM »
I have used these gulps and found they suck big time I have better luck fishing with plastic worms and twister tails than with gulp they are highly over rated and dont think they are worth the money
River Fishing Rules

slipbob

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 02:15 PM »
Boy, maybe I got a bad batch or something.  You guys really have luck on Exudes?  I bought 3 packs of tubes last summer to try and I couldn't buy a bite on them.  Switched back to the Berkley Power Bait tubes and it was fish galore. ???  I may have to give them another shot.
I wouldn't kid you Jigwiggler.  They work.  Try em again.  Power Baits are great too though. 

Jigwiggler

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 04:51 PM »
O.K. I'll take your word for it and try em again. Thanks
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

peple of the perch

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 06:48 PM »
all ponds \lakes r diffrent so maby they work well on one lake \pond but r horrible in another like i cant get squat on the power baits

jmasotto

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2004, 11:25 AM »

I'd Hit It!! ya! ;)

grumpymoe

« Reply #14 on: Jun 30, 2004, 12:58 PM »
i have never been a great fan of plastics....i tried gulp earlier this season for walleye....likely due to late spawn...i caught northerns on the chartruese minnow....i posted my thoughts as to them drying out like cement......they all have their place....but you can't beat live presentations on most days.....grump 2bits... :P

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.