FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake trout rookie...need some help?  (Read 12467 times)

sperrin

Lake trout rookie...need some help?
« on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I normally fish for Walleye, Perch, and Pike all year long.....but next week Im heading up to the Duck Mtns in Manitoba to camp & fish for a few days. They have some good trout lakes up there so I'd like to give them a try. But I don't know a whole lot about how to catch them..any help would be awesome, i'd love to get some big Lakers on the end of our rods!

I don't have down riggers on the boat or anything fance like that...I've been told to try a 3 way swivel rig so I might try and make one of those this week...anyother suggestions and tips? Lures or bait?

Anyone have any tips for homeade weights to help get me down 60' or so..?  I'll probably just be using regular old 16-18lb test line.

Thanks in advace guys.
Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
Re: Lake trout rookie...need some help?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Try a dipsy diver. Pooly uses them and will prolly post a picture.  :D If not go to basspro or cabelas.

sperrin

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Unfortunatly there is no Cabela's or Bass Pro shops near where I live in Rural Manitoba.  >:( 

I wish there was!

Stevo

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:26 AM »
i meant the website.

cabelas.com

its an addiction

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2008, 10:44 AM »
I purchased an In-Fisherman book a year ago and I went to Glen Lake in Michigan with a friend and we were going to try for the Lake Trout.  We didn't have leadcore or dipsey's or anything.  Just big spoons.  The In-Fisherman book i had suggested to use a 3 way swivel with like 8 oz. weight to get down.  they suggessted letting out the line until it hit the bottom and then reel in a little so it was above bottom.  then troll...That was our plan.  Unfortunately his boat was too small to go out on big glen lake the two days we were there.  Had like 4 foot waves on it.  I was just planning on using a big snap swivel threaded on the line b4 the leader to the spoon and then snap on like 3, 3oz weights i bought.  It would be worth a try. 

Those dipsey divers also run to the side of the boat.  so, theoretically you could probably have 4 lines out instead of two.  Really speads the lines out.  Cabela's ships pretty fast if you wanna order of their website.

MasterAngler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:02 AM »
Yep a Dipsy would be worth a try if you can get one in time Sperrin.  Its something I have been meaning to try myself to eliminate a bunch of weight (3-4oz has been the most I've used on 3-ways for lakers as I am very slow trolling, but it's still quite a bit of weight to drag around).
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

sperrin

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:17 AM »
Yeah, I was looking at the cabela's and Bass Pro sites...I don't know alot about the dipsy divers but have heard about them before, and watched guys use them on TV.  I would like to give them a try but judging by there shipping times it wouldn't get to me in time....

Also I don't really want to spend much on equipment for this trip as I normally don't fish for trout, or at these depths except these couple days a year when we go camping up there.

Really apreciate the tips so far guys....keep them coming.

Thanks a bunch,
Stevo

sperrin

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2008, 11:21 AM »
Would it be alright to just make the 3-way out of some old mono line I have at home?

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2008, 01:10 PM »
Try a dipsy diver. Pooly uses them and will prolly post a picture.  :D If not go to basspro or cabelas.
fish seekers bonehead!!! haven't i posted them enough??? :laugh:

you can get them direct from davis instuments too.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

rpc55

• aka "Bonehead"
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2008, 01:48 PM »
Maybe a deep diving rapala or try jigging off the side of the boat.

sperrin

« Reply #10 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:26 PM »
You would need a pretty heavy jig to get down that deep.. that would be nice and simple if you could though

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2008, 02:41 PM »
crocodiles by epinger.

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

er-e-is

« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2008, 09:27 PM »
You would need a pretty heavy jig to get down that deep.. that would be nice and simple if you could though

I jig all the time for lakers anywhere from 30ft. - 120+ ft. A 3/8 oz - 5/8 ozleadhead with a 3''-4'' tube jig or twister tail tipped with some cut bait or a minnow. A spoon of the same weight would be a good try also. Will you have a fishfinder? If so look around underwater points or humps. Once you find them drop down and vertical jig. The warmer the water the deeper I would look. Good Luck.

sperrin

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Ya we have a fish finder/depth finder in the boat.....

I mainly just use it for depth, and to try and locate drop offs.

rayfrommaine

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17, 2008, 07:55 PM »
I'd agree that if you want to stay cheap and low-tech you should try to jig some. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.