FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New pending world record rainbow trout  (Read 11142 times)

fishfins

Spitfire

• A.K.A." Double-L" on I.S.
Re: New pending world record rainbow trout
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2009, 01:12 PM »
  Wow  :w00t:  Gotta be a pot of gold @ the end of that RAINBOW. 8).....Lou
CATCH & RELEASE  "For Another Day"

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Those two dudes turn up in photos with giant and ridiculous rainbows all the time...

Wyoming or Idaho or something, right?

Looks like they got an even bigger on this recent monster!  Wow!

If the records hold up- that means the World Record Brown Trout (Manistee River, MI) and the World Record Rainboiw trout were both landed within the past few days!  Crazy!

And here in NY a guy broke the NYS Brook Trout Record last month with a brookie close to 6lbs from the Adirondacks (Raquette Lake)...  Quite a year for big trout!!!
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

jimmie333

• Fish On!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2009, 03:06 PM »
Those two dudes turn up in photos with giant and ridiculous rainbows all the time...

Wyoming or Idaho or something, right?

Looks like they got an even bigger on this recent monster!  Wow!

If the records hold up- that means the World Record Brown Trout (Manistee River, MI) and the World Record Rainboiw trout were both landed within the past few days!  Crazy!

And here in NY a guy broke the NYS Brook Trout Record last month with a brookie close to 6lbs from the Adirondacks (Raquette Lake)...  Quite a year for big trout!!!

And they say the Moon Phase has something to do with fishing?????

dmntd169

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2009, 03:29 PM »
They sure know how to catch big fish, can't take that away from them. Me personally will never recognize 1 of their rainbows as a true world record as they are trypliod (sp) fish. They are genetically altered to be sterile and don't even go through the motions of spawning. They just eat 12 months outta the year which a true rainbow would not.
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
       ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><(((((((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

BBK

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2009, 03:45 PM »

combsey going to catchem

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2009, 04:08 PM »
i do believe there in Saskatchewan canada i read that the rainbows are a hybred that got released into the lake from a flood  from a hatchery that raised them for food ill see if i can find the article

Boomer

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2009, 04:30 PM »
If it is a true triploid (correct spelling) then a simple little karyotype will tell you. A triploid organism has three sets of chromosomes instead of the more common two sets you see in people (human triploids do not survive to birth). I once had a professor from Purdue University that worked with triploid catfish come to my classroom. He explained that they got their triploids by breeding a diploid female with a tetraploid (4 sets) female catfish (don't try this with people for a multitude of reasons). They grew fast and were ready for market in less than a year - and all were females (less waste due to smaller heads and less waste of food because they fought less for territory).

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Sep 10, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Boomer,
 I love seeing a factually based, lucid response.

"(don't try this with people for a multitude of reasons)"

I believe I've seen the disastrous result of such experiments ::)
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BlindSquirrel

« Reply #9 on: Sep 10, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I love seeing a factually based, lucid response.

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out objection.........Overruled.  -  My Cousin Vinny.
How shall I amuse myself today?

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Her's the guy that actually caught it!

fishfins

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2009, 07:43 PM »
Yes, the guy(s) who  caught the WR rainbow are in Saskatchewan, Canada. And the fish is indeed a triploid eating machine. Whether such a fish should be considered a world record is a separate issue from the obvious fact that it is an astonishing fish. It's hard to believe a trout can get that big. Michigan fiddled with trying to develop triploid king salmon but the project failed. Those fish were to be the offspring of diploid eggs (Ovaries were heat treated so that eggs remained diploid) with haploid sperm. 2 + 1 = 3 (triploid). The ends to which some folks will go to produce a giant fish is amazing. These kinds of projects go way beyond selective breeding.  :-\

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2009, 10:07 PM »
Her's the guy that actually caught it!

Sorry dude that's the new world record brown trout caught in the Mannistee River, Michigan recently.

Tom Healy says he’s “just an old retired guy who came to Manistee for a nice day of fishing.” But after landing what appears to be a world-record brown trout today, he suspects “they’re going to make me the king of Manistee, Michigan.”

Advertisement

“We’re real happy to bring the world record back to Manistee,” the 66-year-old Rockford angler said after landing a 41-pound, 7-ounce brown in the Manistee River. “I’ve fished here 20 years and come regularly, and I’ve caught some nice salmon. But never anything like this.”

The huge brown beat the existing world record from Arkansas by 1 pound, 3 ounces. The state record was 36-13. The fish took a black-and-silver Rapala Shad Rap crankbait that Healy cast from fishing guide Tim Roller’s boat. Healy used a Cabela’s XML spinning rod and Cabela’s Prodigy reel loaded with 30-pound braided line.

“Tom cast, and I saw him set the hook,” Roller said. “The fish tried to jump, but it could only porpoise on the surface. I heard a splash and turned too late to see the fish. But I saw the huge tail and said, ‘You have a big salmon.’”

Healy said the fish fought 15 minutes before coming to the boat. The record fish from Arkansas fought five minutes. Roller said, “We didn’t realize it was a brown until we were about to net it.”

The fish was weighed before Department of Natural Resources biologists, who certified it at 41-7. They took scale samples that will be tested to prove it’s a brown trout and not a closely related Atlantic salmon.

http://www.freep.com/article/20090909/SPORTS10/90909087/-1/rss07

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ShawnR

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2009, 11:49 PM »
The rainbow trout was definitely caught in Lake Diefenbaker which is in Saskatchewan in Canada.  There are a few pictures on their website in the 1st post.  It will get tested to see if it's a triploid or not.  They had mentioned in an interview that it was different than the other triploids they caught because it was much longer and not as fat, so they have hopes that it may not be a triploid.  There are legitimate rainbows in Diefenbaker (not many, but there are some).

fishfins

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2009, 08:32 AM »
There are two different world record fish on this thread. The one I posted is a rainbow trout and it was caught in Saskatchewan, Canada. Then someone posted about the world record brown trout that was recently caught in Michigan. Two different world record fish in the same week. We're all right. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.