FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak jigging for trout  (Read 4290 times)

1Cast1Catch

Kayak jigging for trout
« on: Sep 11, 2009, 03:39 PM »
If I have a fairly calm body of water and know where my drop offs are, can I jig for trout in my kayak? I know a lot of people mention how crucial a trolling motor is for jigging....

BBK

Re: Kayak jigging for trout
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I dont know why you couldnt. We drift jig for walleye all the time. Dont think it would be much different. Just let the wind blow you around and jig.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2009, 03:47 PM »

Welcome to the site.. 
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

fishingjason

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2009, 04:25 PM »
I am no pro at jigging lakers and have only fished for them on one lake in the finger lakes part of upstate NY. When jigging for lake trout it seems key to be jigging as vertical in the water as possible. They just seem to strike better. I have no idea about jigging for other trout species. We jig at 70-150 feet of water going all of the way to the bottom. We then lift up about 3 feet then drop it down. We do this 5 or 6 times then slowly retrieve dropping it a couple feet every now and then. Sometimes they strike on the bottom, on the way down or on the way up.  It was diffucult at first but now it's alot of fun.
Good Luck!

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2009, 06:22 PM »
i fish out of my kayaks a lot!  you won't have any problems jigging just set your yak up comfortable! us a slide anchor set up i like  two rod holders in the back and one adjustable in front (with lock) carry your net in the back(be careful netting fish!) and keep a extra pole back there with a safty strap (i use a wedge on rope) you will also need  a paddle holder and a paddle strap a whistle or canned air horn compass and a hand bulge pump i also carry a emercancy paddle  hand bulge pump and a clamp on light i posted a pick of one of mine in the new york section you need any help feel free to pm me
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2009, 06:30 PM »

JoshFic

« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2009, 08:39 AM »
that is one tricked out kayak trapper good stuff

trapper2000

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2009, 08:59 AM »
i got a 12 ft heritage set up too i like the otter because of size and weight ,thank you

jkoegel

• Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2009, 10:12 AM »
I have an inflatable Sea Eagle 9. You can jig out of anything that floats.  ;D
I have a lot of fun paddling around Hemlock and Canadice lake. Undeveloped shoreline, and no big boats. You are limited to 16' and 10hp on these lakes.
I have had good luck on lakers there. You can catch an occasional LL salmon or rainbow too.
If you get tired of trout head to shore and cast for some sm bass and pickeral.

KingPerch

« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Trapper, this whole kayaking fishing sounds fun, I gotta try it!!--KP :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

1Cast1Catch

« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:27 PM »

Thats a beauty trapper! Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I'm lovin this forum.

trapper2000

« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2009, 06:06 AM »
1 cast i have the heritage  set up  a little different, i'll try and get some pictures and post, the one  shown is a old town otter a very reasonalbly priced  kayak and  light the  heritage  is more costly and  heavier  but  a lot more room, i enjoy them all .  kayak fishing iis  fun if you enjoy  fishing alone so it's a natural for  flyfisherman , but in recent  years  because of  cost and  easy transportation it has  caught on with a larger group, if anyyone  needs  help with set up  just pm i'll be glad to make suggestions you might even  be able to help me :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.