FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 146591 times)

Doubles Shooter

Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #225 on: Jun 01, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Rg has it right. You don't want thick smoke. TBS ( thin blue smoke) is the trick. If you can smell smoke, it's good enough.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #226 on: Jun 02, 2019, 12:18 PM »
   Ok guys sounds like good advise 👍 went out for a brisket, wound up getting some short ribs  :o Wegmans had a good sale.

Kept the rub simple, salt, pepper, garlic and Cajun. Going with hickory smoke.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #227 on: Jun 02, 2019, 12:48 PM »
They look good and meaty. Should be great eating. Post pictures when they are done.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #228 on: Jun 02, 2019, 07:54 PM »
  Well you guys sure know what's up with the light blue smoke, these ribs came out fantastic!

Soaked the hickory in hard cider, then used the liquid in the reservoir, smoked at 250 for 5 hours, then 200 for another couple. OMG so moist and perfect 👌

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #229 on: Jun 03, 2019, 03:39 AM »
Glad that worked out for you. They look fantastic. Makes you feel better about your smoker eh?

I looked at short ribs Saturday and yesterday and they were anemic. So, I bought two big packages of chicken wings instead. Broke out the "Megafryer" and had the neighbors over for wings and beverages. It was cool and breezy so we camped out in the "Little Wood Shop".

Fun afternoon.

I'll keep searching for some decent short ribs.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinjohn

« Reply #230 on: Jun 03, 2019, 04:36 AM »
Did some ribs this weekend...LOW AND SLOW
before

After

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #231 on: Jun 03, 2019, 07:30 AM »
Yum!

I've got some perch and bullhead in the freezer that I might try a smoke on. Anyone ever try smoked bullhead?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #232 on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:13 AM »
Yum!

I've got some perch and bullhead in the freezer that I might try a smoke on. Anyone ever try smoked bullhead?

Rg

I haven't done bullhead yet, but have smoked most others. Here is a great brine recipe developed for trout/salmon but it is excellent for all fish. 4-6 hour soak for oily fish and 3/4 for lean fish. I'm thinking bullhead will fall in between. I start at 100 degrees for an hour then bump it 20 degrees every hour till you hit 180. Hold there till the fillets hit 145 degree internal temp. I use Adler wood, but any fruit wood will work. Good luck.

fishinator

« Reply #233 on: Jun 03, 2019, 09:48 AM »
I haven't done bullhead yet, but have smoked most others. Here is a great brine recipe developed for trout/salmon but it is excellent for all fish. 4-6 hour soak for oily fish and 3/4 for lean fish. I'm thinking bullhead will fall in between. I start at 100 degrees for an hour then bump it 20 degrees every hour till you hit 180. Hold there till the fillets hit 145 degree internal temp. I use Adler wood, but any fruit wood will work. Good luck.

it helps to let them air dry on the counter until slightly sticky before putting them in the smoker.

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #234 on: Jun 03, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Yep. I totally forgot to add that. A good pellicle is important. I usually use a fan to speed things up a bit.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #235 on: Jun 03, 2019, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the insight. I figured an overnight in the fridge for a good dry. I'd never have thought about starting them that slowly and working up.

Haven't decided if I want to flirst  them first or not. Any thoughts?

Thanks all,
Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #237 on: Jun 03, 2019, 05:31 PM »
Looks like the cardiologist's worst nightmare.

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #238 on: Jun 03, 2019, 05:45 PM »
Looks like the cardiologist's worst nightmare.

Rg

Or a potential gold mine in clientele, depends on how you look at it.

Either way those look delicious.

Doubles Shooter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.