FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Chu 2020 thread  (Read 7009 times)

stripernut

Re: Chu 2020 thread
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2020, 10:33 AM »
I doubt the state will allow chu to open with the current fears about Corona.  I hope I am wrong but right now I cant even register my new boat and trailer...

I also hope that you are wrong. I don't normally fish next to anyone, even someone I am fishing with. Yes, it can get crowded on the opening weekend, but in the end, that is a choice that anglers make to fish next to someone. There are many miles of under fished shoreline and it would be perfectly safe if we all spread out. If I am fishing with anyone over the next month or so odds are we won't drive together to fish, that is a far likely way to be infected or infect someone...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2020, 03:44 PM »
I doubt the state will allow chu to open with the current fears about Corona.  I hope I am wrong but right now I cant even register my new boat and trailer...
not looking good. I just hope it opens up before the end of april. I would hate to miss out on my salmon fishing window

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2020, 04:49 PM »
People are out fishing but are keeping their distance where I have been.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2020, 04:52 PM »
People are out fishing but are keeping their distance where I have been.
they are on top of each other setting up In between each others rods where i have been....

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 18, 2020, 04:58 PM »
The state should probably stop posting stocking for a while. That might be the problem.
 Maybe they can stock and not post it to avoid the crowds rushing to specific ponds all at once.

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18, 2020, 10:49 PM »
The state should probably stop posting stocking for a while. That might be the problem.
 Maybe they can stock and not post it to avoid the crowds rushing to specific ponds all at once.
they are trying to offload the hatcherys asap I here due to a potential lockdown in the future. the fish cant wait in the hatchery any longer as it can cause complications with the fish and also delay raising the next batch. I do agree they should go back to the updated every Friday format. once you get a hang for the pattern in stockings you can predict what will be stocked next.

Steve H.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2020, 08:38 AM »
once you get a hang for the pattern in stockings you can predict what will be stocked next.

Pretty pathetic if that's what some people consider fishing.  I always thought "chasing the stocking truck" was a dumb joke. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Pretty pathetic if that's what some people consider fishing.  I always thought "chasing the stocking truck" was a dumb joke.
it is but at the end of the day they are meaningless stocked trout. practically bait for the bigger fish. It's our licenses going to work so if they are being caught legally who really cares if they were recently in a truck.

zwiggles

« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2020, 11:59 AM »

It can be good to get the next generation interested in the sport. Not my cup of tea, but to each their own.

stripernut

« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2020, 02:09 PM »
Not normally my cup of tea, but I always liked the joke; That stocked fish are the best state employees, they give it all for the job...

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:50 PM »
took a walk along a favorite stretch of mine yesterday and found some fresh smelt washed up. about a dozen or so in a small area. might be a good sign if it actually opens for fishing. I think I will call the ranger office tomorrow and ask. I will share what I discover here.

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2020, 07:54 PM »
What's the bait shop going to do when there are 15 guys lined up to get bait. Social Distance  :P
Seriously though. Can't wait. Last ice trip was last weekend on Champlain. The Chu gear is ready to go and the water temp in Boston Harbor
is already in the 40's. Flounder bite should be on when it hits 50.

Fish the flats at the beginning of the outgoing tide now and you'll get them Jeff.

westernmas

« Reply #27 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:30 AM »
they are trying to offload the hatcherys asap I here due to a potential lockdown in the future. the fish cant wait in the hatchery any longer as it can cause complications with the fish and also delay raising the next batch. I do agree they should go back to the updated every Friday format. once you get a hang for the pattern in stockings you can predict what will be stocked next.

They stocked out my way yesterday.  Without a doubt the earliest that I have ever seen them stock the westfield river.  They should stock it this early every year.  Its a freestone that drops like a rock without rain or snow melt so normally they are stocking after the river has settled down.  Hopefully the high water spreads the fish out and the trout fishing will continue much longer into the summer than normal.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Steve H.

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Hopefully the high water spreads the fish out and the trout fishing will continue much longer into the summer than normal.

Now you're talkin'.  I'm a big fan of float stocking and other methods to get fish spread out away from bridge pools and pull-offs.  Not to say those areas don't have their place, as they certainly do, for mobility-impaired anglers, kids, etc.  I just don't like when ALL the fish are put in those easy to reach places and are gone in 1-2 weeks. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

stripernut

« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:05 AM »
I will admit to many times taking a certain pleasure of showing up (never planned) when the truck had just dumped a bunch of fish and they had not started biting yet. I would use the fly rod or a Roostertail and with no one else getting any fish catch them one after another and throwing them right back in... One time I was driving home from a job and decided to just pull in and see what was going on at Comet Pond, there had to be like 40 angles shoulder to shoulder and no one getting anything. I pull out my trout rod and start throwing a Roostertail, each time a school of the stocked fish would swim by they would hit my Roostertail but not "eat" it. So, I would be like hit, hit, hit and the guy next to me looking at me like I was full of s&t, I then started hooking them, one after another, when no one else had hooked up.  I had a couple of the old-timers get very upset at me that I would not give them any of the fish that I was getting. I just told them I was giving the fish a little education. There was one kid they that I tried to show how to do it (I offered to show anyone), I gave him my rod but he never hooked up... So I leave after about 20 min. and over half a dozen fish, with a whole bunch of grumpy old coggers giving me the look! 
I do like it better when they spread all the fish out in a river...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.