FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First Q trip of the year!  (Read 1387 times)

stripernut

First Q trip of the year!
« on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:25 AM »
Will and I hit an area I had not hit from shore in years but had always done well at. The round trip was over 4 miles with much of it without trails... No surprise the water was high limiting spots we could work and a stiff wind was often in our face, despite the prediction. Will started off with a Blade bait and got a couple of Newts that looked to be doing things that were not even "R" rated... It was a legit catch as the one he hooked was hooked inside the mouth... It is a good thing that the photos came out blurry or I could not post them otherwise, to explicit... LOL.
Shortly after Will got a nice Small Mouth on the blade bait. I tried to time the trip so we would end up finishing at the deepest point as clouds rolled in and the light faded. We worked the shoreline finding a few spots we could cast, I switch to topwater hoping to get an LG Mouth to hit in the back of some of the (warmer) coves we were working. I did get one real nice boil and a couple smaller "looks" but no luck... If I could fish it at night, I know I would do well but no fishing at night at that gate (or any other gate yet)... As we came out on the point the wind was still blowing hard and it was work to pick up all the "bow" in the line on each cast as we fished the point. Will hooked up but has an ADR (long distance release). After working the deeper side (32') of the point I turned around and started casting to the shallower side (25') and in 5 casts I landed 2 nice SM Bass and 1 nice Laker. All 3 on a "Little Cleo". The larger SM hit on the fall and was about 5lbs. Poor Will was too busy taking photos to get as many casts in... Sadly my scale that I had just tested did not work... I wanted them back in the water (FAT females) so not measurements. As usual, they don't look all that big in the photos with me as I am a Big guy...  As the light faded and we had a long walk back, sadly we headed back.
As many of you know 2 years ago a bear and I had an interesting meet and greet, but what Will and I saw on the way back to the vehicle was much scarier (to me at least). On the dirt road ahead of us was a nice baby carriage and no one around. It was just sitting there facing away and as we got closer I could see there were no other vehicles but ours. Walking still closer, all kinds of horrible things crossed my mind, and when we finally look into the seat and see that it was empty the relief was real... After a bit of debate, we decided to leave it as I was sure that it was too nice to just leave and they would be back for it. Heading back to the car with real relief, a young couple pops out of the woods carrying a couple of little kids... They had been watch a moose in the woods. I was happy for them as we had seen fresh moose sign all over but had not seen one ourselves... With a laugh, I did let them know the abandoned stroller was a fright to come across on a lonely dirt road... They apologized and they only lived up the road from the gate and walked down, so no vehicle. So, as I have said before when fishing Quabbin at all hours the thing I fear (but do respect) is not the wildlife, but people An abandoned stroller and what I might find in it was not something my imagination had ever came up with, it did work to give me a bit of a fright!
Still a GREAT Quabbin trip and can't wait to get back to fish again!

For those that don't like a long post sorry.

taxid

Re: First Q trip of the year!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Great post.  Thanks.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Excellent post.  Nice to see some traffic on the site.  Keep it up all!
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

manitron

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Nice job ,as always, Alan and Will.

Ryan51993

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2020, 10:28 AM »
Thanks for the post I'm glad you were able to find some success out there after the long walk in. Was this the cold side or the warm side?

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2020, 11:01 AM »
Warm.

Baitbucket

« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2020, 11:10 AM »
Another amazing trip on Will and Allans Excellent Adventures lol.

Allan knows my sense of direction is terrible. Having grown up in an age where Smartphones were a thing when i got my license, ive always had GPS. Great for getting you places, terrible if you have to go somewhere without one lol.

The stroller on the road at the end was super scary. I saw it in the distance as we were walking up, but figured it couldnt be what i thought. As we got close I asked Allan if I was seeing what i thought I was seeing, he quickly confirmed. I think we were both thinking/saying "please dont let there be a baby in that thing". Huge sigh of relief when we saw it empty and later the family re-appearing.

Heres hoping they re-open the Q on the 9th and we can get back in the boat!

Have a good one guys and stay safe.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2020, 12:43 PM »
Nice work guys!  My fingers are crossed for the 9th!

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2020, 07:36 AM »
Same here Jon.

Im debating between 8 and 31.. I know where to find the fish at 31 this time of year, but 8 is so much easier as far as distance to fishable water. Ill check in with a few of my fellow Q boat owners to see which gates they are hitting. The potential line at the gate may be the deciding factor.

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Apr 25, 2020, 09:23 AM »
Same here Jon.

Im debating between 8 and 31.. I know where to find the fish at 31 this time of year, but 8 is so much easier as far as distance to fishable water. Ill check in with a few of my fellow Q boat owners to see which gates they are hitting. The potential line at the gate may be the deciding factor.

You know where I'll be. 

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #11 on: Apr 25, 2020, 09:27 AM »
Some nice bass. Great story. Right now we all have free time to read long stories...stay well...h2l

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Apr 25, 2020, 09:40 AM »
And to write them...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.