FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Striper/Shad run Ct. River Chicopee area....are they here yet??  (Read 1898 times)

Muskie Matt

Since I’m pretty much on lockdown and haven’t been able to get down there, anyone know how the run is right now?  Accessibility?  Water level?  I know, I know, just go down there and check myself, but any info is appreciated.  I recall years ago the run would start April 5, but of late appears to be later, depending on water temp and levels.  We have the water but not sure of the temps, air/water.  I have room for one in my boat if anyone wants to join, and yes, I’m Covid free!  😂

CMD1987

Since I’m pretty much on lockdown and haven’t been able to get down there, anyone know how the run is right now?  Accessibility?  Water level?  I know, I know, just go down there and check myself, but any info is appreciated.  I recall years ago the run would start April 5, but of late appears to be later, depending on water temp and levels.  We have the water but not sure of the temps, air/water.  I have room for one in my boat if anyone wants to join, and yes, I’m Covid free!  😂

April 5 seems early to me. But there should definitely be some showing up in the next week. I know they are in the Merrimack - which means they are in the Ct - just a matter of how far up they’ve gotten so far.

The whole month of may is generally Shad season for me...

Check here for water levels:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?site_no=01172010

MelonBelly

I caught my first shad of the season on April 11th, on the Chicopee R. Put in 4 more trips since then, and managed to keep the streak going. I haven't been racking up numbers of them, but there have been fish around. Shad are among my favorite fish, and I spend most of my spring chasing them from shore.
 Yesterday, I got myself a CT license and wasted the morning traipsing around the rivers in that state, doing very little casting, and catching nothing. Went back to Mass in late afternoon and hooked 5 in the CT river. 5 fish in 4 hours is pretty poor, but at least I was connecting. I don't know that CT was much in the way of shore-fishing for shad. The lower Farmington was a zoo, and the catch rate there doesn't seem enviable.

ICEHOLE

I want to try shad fishing one of these days! Looks like a blast
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

taxid

One of my ancestors in the 1700's from Blanford was in serious trouble with his church for seining shad in the Connecticut on the Sabbath. He told them to take a hike then relinquished and asked for forgiveness. Amazing how times have changed.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

BeerMe

• Well...the beers ain't gonna drink themselves!!
Shad are here. Just the water levels change everyday lately with the rains every other freakin day!!

Muskie Matt

Finally made it down to Chicopee Center/Granby Rd.  Monday from 3-4pm landed 5 shad.  Thursday 3-4pm another 5 shad.  After a quote I heard 30 years ago, if you’re not losing darts/leafs, then you’re fishing too high.  Slow that baby down and get it down to the bottom.  Slooooow reel, just let the current take it. I can’t tell you how many people were burning their lures, until they seen the hook-ups I had, then, wouldn’t you know it....they slowed it down and hooked up.  And just for fun, I used and hooked up on just about every color leaf and dart I had.  Just doubled up on darts and threw a trolling sinker above two willow leafs and all produced.  It’s more about getting to their level in the water column, which is usually very close to the bottom. 

Steve H.

Finally made it down to Chicopee Center/Granby Rd.  Monday from 3-4pm landed 5 shad.  Thursday 3-4pm another 5 shad.  After a quote I heard 30 years ago, if you’re not losing darts/leafs, then you’re fishing too high.  Slow that baby down and get it down to the bottom.  Slooooow reel, just let the current take it. I can’t tell you how many people were burning their lures, until they seen the hook-ups I had, then, wouldn’t you know it....they slowed it down and hooked up.  And just for fun, I used and hooked up on just about every color leaf and dart I had.  Just doubled up on darts and threw a trolling sinker above two willow leafs and all produced.  It’s more about getting to their level in the water column, which is usually very close to the bottom. 

Nice report.  Thanks.  Gotta try the Mack this weekend.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Muskie Matt

Checked out the water levels at the Medina St boat launch in Chicopee, Mass Pike overhead and “The Point” where the Chicopee River and Connecticut River meet.  See pics.  All in all, manageable.   

taxid

Thanks for sharing. Brings back memories of my days in Mass.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.