FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Chicopee and the Westfield  (Read 623 times)

bogtrotter

The Chicopee and the Westfield
« on: May 07, 2023, 05:39 PM »
My younger son and I drove down to Chicopee this morning to fish the river of that same name.

Beautiful day - - sunny, blue skies, 70 degrees.

We arrived a little before 11 AM, parked on Granby Road and made our way down to the stream.

Tons of fishermen out there - - all seemingly targeting shad - - but we only saw one guy (later in the day) who succeeded in catching in catching a couple, which he was bringing back to the car. 

He said (a bit to my surprise) that the fishing was tough because the water was so low - - whereas I thought it was a bit on the high side , but he clearly knew what he was doing, so I'll take him at his word.

Although my son and I didn't tag any shad, we did catch a few decent small mouths (my biggest one was 17") that gave us a pretty good fight - - so no complaints.

We also tried a bit further downstream below the Davitt Bridge, and encountered a gent named Pablo as he was leaving who kindly gave my son a few shad darts as well as a tip about a shad fishing guide service (Steve's Leaves) that he highy recommended as a satisfied customer.

We tried the second spot, also without success, and saw a couple other fishermen who seemed to be having the same results, so we decided to head home around 3 PM.

En route, we stopped in Cummington to fish the East Westfield near where it's joined by the Swift River, and landed a couple nice brookies, before finally making our way home.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.