FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Looks like we are getting closer to light batteries!  (Read 2322 times)

taxid

I look for the day when lifting a heavy battery for trolling and starting is a past memory. This article is geared toward electric car batteries but it's only a matter of time before it benefits our boats and other fishing gear.

Interesting read.

https://engineering.stanford.edu/magazine/article/new-battery-electrolyte-may-boost-electric-vehicles-performance?fbclid=IwAR23sHp_-L-i1AJ_Wk_FVBGIfc7IodJ8WBZzd9jjr8Z8pdEEqP_9odf2764

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Stonecat

Re: Looks like we are getting closer to light batteries!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:47 AM »
    Interesting,what's available now,but the initial money output........phew....https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tracker-lithium-super-high-output-lithium-deep-cycle-marine-battery

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2020, 07:12 AM »
    Interesting,what's available now,but the initial money output........phew....https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tracker-lithium-super-high-output-lithium-deep-cycle-marine-battery

Things are always expensive when they first come out. Hopefully will follow suite and become cheaper.

The ones at your link are definitely smaller in size and weight compared to a lead acid battery!

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25, 2020, 09:29 AM »
The solution to heavy batteries is more hp!

appleye

« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2020, 10:24 AM »
I upgraded to Lithium this spring was tired of getting two to three years on lead cells and after a long day having the batteries die. I have yet to run the new batteries all the way down after 11 hours on the water. When the starting battery goes I will be replacing with lithium. totally worth the money just from the power stand point. When you include the weight savings well. You know.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2020, 02:07 PM »
I wonder how much the group 31's cost... yikes.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2020, 02:20 PM »
Check out John B. Goodenough’s ‘Glass battery”.

It’s the future.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Downside of lithium is if you ever penetrate the battery case by any means...instant, massive, fire!  So secure those things as best you can!

Stonecat

« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2020, 07:19 PM »
Downside of lithium is if you ever penetrate the battery case by any means...instant, massive, fire!  So secure those things as best you can!
   https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=bear+grylls+lithium+ion+battery+firestarter&docid=608000733087139948&mid=D0FA14A583061EF99B18D0FA14A583061EF99B18&view=detail&FORM=VIRE   

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2020, 09:27 PM »
I wonder how much the group 31's cost... yikes.

Me too Geoff.
Probably $800 each
You and I would need 3 of them.
Ouch!
$$$

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2020, 10:18 AM »
Me too Geoff.
Probably $800 each
Ouch!
$$$

Yeah that is definitely not in the budget, unfortunately. I learned how amazing lithium power is this winter compared to lead acid with the battery box I built. It's so much more efficient it's not even funny.

I thought with the newer LiFePo4 batteries that they were somewhat safer?

appleye

« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Me too Geoff.
Probably $800 each
Ouch!
$$$

You wouldn't need to buy three. the batteries come in 36 volt. You just have to have a 36 volt charger. Same with 24 volt, one batterie. You can add more for more storage but probably wouldn't need to.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2020, 04:18 PM »
You wouldn't need to buy three. the batteries come in 36 volt. You just have to have a 36 volt charger. Same with 24 volt, one batterie. You can add more for more storage but probably wouldn't need to.

And the cost of a large 36 VDC unit is less than 3 of the 12’s.  Right!
Also, then I get to toss my 3 bank on board 36 amp pro charger, that says it will handle lithium batteries.  And spend more cash on a 36 VDC onboard charger.
🤣🤣🤣

Sorry, had to post that.
Yea, I knew about the 36’s.
Thanks though!
👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.