FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?  (Read 5628 times)

taxid

As I wind down my fish taxidermy business possibly retiring, and make more time for fishing again, I can remember getting lots of fish back trolling (deadly on other fish besides walleyes). Back then could only back troll on relatively calm waters 'cause I didn't have back trolling plates to keep out the slop. Once the speedboaters cranked up forget it with just an unprotected transom. I'm getting a new boat cover made so thought I might go ahead an order a couple and install the mounts even though I think the plates are detachable?

Are really kicker for vertical jigging as the back is where you transducer usually is.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

I see I could make these and even make them detachable but not sure if I could find plexiglass slanted like that.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=KG1ZX-iXM9fKtQbY_7T4Dw&q=wave+wacker+installation&oq=Wavewacker+insta&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgAMgQIABANOgUIABCxAzoICAAQsQMQgwE6AggAOgUIABCSAzoECAAQCjoECAAQAzoGCAAQDRAKOggIABANEAoQHjoICAAQCBANEB46BggAEAoQHjoGCAAQDRAeUMYJWJ5BYO1aaAZwAHgCgAGJAogBuQySAQYyMC4xLjGYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab#kpvalbx=_NG1ZX__RONDItQbI47SoBw9

Bend it.
Use a heat gun and go slow.
Guys make new lexan cuddy hatches and bend them all the time.
Up to 1/4”
Do a search on you tube for bending lexan sheets.
Good luck!

taxid

Bend it.
Use a heat gun and go slow.
Guys make new lexan cuddy hatches and bend them all the time.
Up to 1/4”
Do a search on you tube for bending lexan sheets.
Good luck!

I do have a heat gun. I'll have to check that out! Thanks Mac!

taxid

That looks easy Mac!

The wife says the price of Lexan has gone up due to demand for shielding for Covid-19 protection. She works at a school where they have to buy it for protection.

I think a thick black rubber floor matting material would work fine for the motor sides. Only thing now is how to make the bottom bracket where the lexan sides into. I'd like to be able to remove it. I'm sure I can figure out something. Probably two pieces of aluminum or sheet metal stock either screwed or welded together.

taxid

Just ordered what I need off of Ebay for $89.70 including Sales Tax and shipping is free. Turns out it will be shipped from a city about an hour and half from me in the same state.  Will be a lot cheaper than buying a commercial one and I enjoy DIY projects. Thanks Mac.

I can show the steps in making the entire thing with the materials I used and where to get them if anyone is interested.

taxid

Looks like this aluminum material could do the job for the bottom slot to hold the 1/4 inch Lexa for easy removal. It has a 1/4 inch channel. Would prefer it be deeper but since here are two more attachment points higher up (wing nuts and rubber washers) perhaps it's enough? Thoughts?

filetandrelease

I have a set on my 2007 Lund they sure do help

lowaccord66

I like it Cecil.  Back trolling is a cool technique.

mcully

Re: Anybody have Wave Wackers or a similar brand on their boats?
« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Just curious because I've never done it or really looked into it but what does back trolling do for you that forward trolling doesn't?

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10, 2020, 07:30 AM »
Just curious because I've never done it or really looked into it but what does back trolling do for you that forward trolling doesn't?

Better boat control.
It was created many years ago before the bow mount electric trolling motor was around, or people had them.
Sitting back in a tiller boat and back trolling allows you move very slow and move side to side in small increments when working a jig or using a slow presentation with a bottom bouncer or live bait setup.
I feel the bow mount electrics today give you the same thing, but many guys still back troll.

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2020, 08:55 AM »

I know a few that use back trollers for jigging ,

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2020, 12:54 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lexan+sheet&crid=6WS3M24CB28B&sprefix=lexan%2Caps%2C178&ref=nb_sb_ss_midas-iss-sm_5_5

I saw that but didn't like the reviews. People were claiming they weren't getting what was pictured and it come with flaws.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2020, 12:55 PM »
Better boat control.
It was created many years ago before the bow mount electric trolling motor was around, or people had them.
Sitting back in a tiller boat and back trolling allows you move very slow and move side to side in small increments when working a jig or using a slow presentation with a bottom bouncer or live bait setup.
I feel the bow mount electrics today give you the same thing, but many guys still back troll.

And you are right on top of your transducer so you can turn on a dime to follow a particular contour line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.