FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: You either got it or u dont!  (Read 10755 times)

phead lakeman

You either got it or u dont!
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:10 PM »
i consider myself a guy who really doesnt know how to catch fish if there not really active. But some of u other guys prolly catch fish no matter what. And those are the guys that "got it". I wanna be one of those guys that has it for when my son is old enough to fish. I want to be able to put him on fish just about everytime. Anyone recommend a good book or information on the internet to further my studies on being a better fisherman. Keuka has giving me alot of really good advice and im still not catching fish like i would like to. I see myself giving up on this sport if this continues but believe me its the last thing i want to do!

ericmic1

Re: You either got it or u dont!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:21 PM »
I have been studying the IN-FISHERMAN series of books...so far read the walleye wisdom and largemouth bass books.   Bass one has helped a ton!

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Nah man. You won't ever give up if you truly love it.
Of course catching fish is great. But, for me that's not really what I enjoy the most about fishing as a hooby or lifestyle.
I enjoy "being" before I enjoy catching. Live for the moment man.
Enjoy the first time your boat, canoe, or first cast breaks the perfect glass surface of a body of water in the morning.
Enjoy the smell of the crisp fresh air rolling off the lake. Enjoy the sound of the water babbling over rocks and into a deep pool. Enjoy the smells of the trees and dirt. The sounds of the birds. Most of all enjoy being out there with your child and make sure he or she enjoys being out there with dad.
You need to not try so hard to actually catch fish. Tight lines are just a bonus. I've done fairly well raising my kids with a similar outlook. Believe me, it well help a lot when the fishing absolutely sucks.
Just enjoy "being" man. They will bite. It doesn't matter if they don't. Because you've enjoyed it anyway.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

wnybassman

• The Real "No Good"
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:59 PM »
Time on the water, there is no better way to learn.

tbfisherman

• FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:25 PM »

Hiring a Fishing Guide is well worth the money because he knows the lake and the fish and what techniques are good on that particular lake.  In one day you will learn plenty of techniques and by the time your son is old enough you will be experienced enought to confidently teach him the most relaxing sport in the World.

Bob

freeman77

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34 PM »
really you are in the best place on the net to learn about fishing I used to fish for ever thing out there and thought I did pretty well. the last couple years I have been trying to get in to walleye fishing and that's what I focused on since then I have gone from trying to figure them out to really being able to catch them. I am no pro that's for sure but my success went up 100% and I really have to say it is from watching what others are saying on this site. even if there not talking about the lake your on read it and try it you never know it might just work for you and like WNY said time on the water. good luck

freeman77

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 10:38 PM »
one more thing I have been doing latly is I made my self a log evertime I go out stuff like the time of day watertemp depth fish cought colors caught on trolling speed and places fish cought and it has really helped and I can see it helping later in life so next season whenyou break the pole out you can look back at all the info from last season

prchslyr

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Good call freeman77!
A prime example-If you read SNAGGER's entire Salmon River thread. I'm confident you could walk onto the Salmon River and catch fish without ever actually doing it before. Maybe not with the consitancy they have. But, you would have plenty of confidence going in. Read read read. Fish fish fish. Confidence in what you are doing is the key to success.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:45 PM »
one more thing I have been doing latly is I made my self a log evertime I go out stuff like the time of day watertemp depth fish cought colors caught on trolling speed and places fish cought and it has really helped and I can see it helping later in life so next season whenyou break the pole out you can look back at all the info from last season

Hit the nail on the head with that statement,   Diaries ....after 2-4 years you'll see patterns develope...also don't bounce around alot. Pick a lake or part of a lake or just a species and beat it like a dead horse and pick it apart completely . Your failures are as important as your victories, knowing what not to do is half the battle...Try surrounding yourself around other fishermen who are alot better than you, after a few good old fashion @ s s   beatings, you'll get mad and learn much faster, plus you can copy there techniques, reading is for people who don't fish...  Good luck man, hope this helps you.. ;D

Yesterday an old timer put on a clinic, I was so shook up,, I couldn't stop thinking about it,, still thinking about it..

Hey prchslyer sunsets are nice too. ;D
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 10:56 PM »
First and Foremost... to become a succseful angler... the love, the desire , and the want to get out there and do it non stop...whether catching fish or not needs to become part of your daily anatomy and thoughts. ;) I have fish that I desire to catch, and have not yet....but  they are heavy on my list to make it happen. This site is a good basis to start the "anglers addiction". Keep a positive mindset....and the fish will come! ;)

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:00 PM »
  Hit the nail on the head with that statement,   Diaries ....after 2-4 years you'll see patterns develope...also don't bounce around alot. Pick a lake or part of a lake or just a species and beat it like a dead horse and pick it apart completely . Your failures are as important as your victories, knowing what not to do is half the battle...Try surrounding yourself around other fishermen who are alot better than you, after a few good old fashion @*** beatings, you'll get mad and learn much faster, plus you can copy there techniques, reading is for people who don't fish...  Good luck..

Yesterday an old timer put on a clinic, I was so shook up,, I couldn't stop thinking about it,, still thinking about it..

Hey prchslyer sunsets are nice too. ;D

Snag..... That Older guy running beads on a spinner really took ya for a loop, didn't he? The Ol' man above has his ways to humble us sometimes doesn't he? Lot's of respect for staying honest man! ;)

SNAGGER

• FISHING THE SALMON RIVER SINCE 1978
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Snag..... That Older guy running beads on a spinner really took ya for a loop, didn't he? The Ol' man above has his ways to humble us sometimes doesn't he? Lot's of respect for staying honest man! ;)
 Every KEY piece of information or technique or lure or whatever.... always has been learned (for me anyways) after someone took me for a loop, Slamboney and Dave beat me to a pulp for 2-3 years on smallmouth / eyes til I was forced to either learn it good or settle for mediocrity. The latter isn't an option!!

Hey Phead Lakeman, once you learn the basic's, then you can read these reports and see when someone slips up and posts a piece of KEY information, like a lure, lure color,landmark in background of a picture, or time of day. You can see where this is going..

And yes always learning FM, always.. ;D

Hey FM, last year I was out jigging Sonars in the broad part of the lake for 3 weekends mid day,, til it dawned on me it was a morning thing, duh!!!
R.I.P Uncle Johnny
        ALWAYS BE YOURSELF ,  BECAUSE THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER , DON'T MIND , AND THE ONES THAT DO , DON'T MATTER!

fishing mechanic

• Wrenching to Fish
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:29 PM »
Phead lakeman... I hope some of this advise helps...much coming from some friends that truly appreciate the sport of angling! It truly is a lifetime strive of learning the diff. techniques and waterways. Good stuff man! ;D

Stormy_NY

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 05:04 AM »
Hey phead lakeman...... Come fish with me on Oneida ......You will feel like Roland frickin Martin !

infectedtoe1952

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:07 AM »
its a great feeling when you tell fishermen that you should have been fishing here yesterday instead of hearing it said to you.. skill a little, lucky a lot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.