FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long Rod Chronicles  (Read 102197 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Long Rod Chronicles
« Reply #825 on: May 06, 2024, 04:09 PM »
Congrats on the puppy!

westernmas

« Reply #826 on: May 07, 2024, 08:48 AM »
Thanks, he's going to be a handful.  Tried to corral him into the kitchen area but he jumped right over the baby gates.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

BassMaster12

« Reply #827 on: May 07, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Good stuff guys.

I second Jethro on being more of a lurker on here as over the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with the long rod, still determined though.

On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man. I've been doing some research and have a few in mind, but was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

I like exploring/ learning myself like with most of my other fishing rabbit holes I've been down, but I think a good guide would definitely help.

_Icecold_ on the shanty

westernmas

« Reply #828 on: May 08, 2024, 08:04 AM »
Good stuff guys.

I second Jethro on being more of a lurker on here as over the last 2 years or so I've been struggling with the long rod, still determined though.

On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man. I've been doing some research and have a few in mind, but was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations?

I like exploring/ learning myself like with most of my other fishing rabbit holes I've been down, but I think a good guide would definitely help.

There are a bunch of great ones in the western mass and CT area but depends on what you want to target.  The Harrison Brothers run Harrison Anglers out of the Deerfield watershed but they are now licensed in NY as well so they will hit the Deerfield, Hoosic, Housatonic, Millers, Swift, etc. for mostly trout but also do pike trips as well.  Another good one in the same area is Chris Jackson.  If you want one for the Farmington in CT I'd call Up Country and they can connect you with a host of different guides.  Further down in CT you can target more varied species like carp, smallies, as well as trout and pike and I'd recommend a younger guy Rowan Little.  He just had Tom Rosenbauer out and they slayed massive carp.  Jon can recommend some in PA and there is Master Class Angling if you are looking to go up to Champlain which has amazing variety.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #829 on: May 10, 2024, 09:39 AM »
On that note, I've been considering hiring a guide for me and the old man.

That's exactly what my old man and I did last year. 2 days with a guide at Grand Lake Stream in Maine probably was equivalent to 4 years of fumbling around. Worth every penny.

BassMaster12

« Reply #830 on: Today at 09:44 AM »
There are a bunch of great ones in the western mass and CT area but depends on what you want to target.  The Harrison Brothers run Harrison Anglers out of the Deerfield watershed but they are now licensed in NY as well so they will hit the Deerfield, Hoosic, Housatonic, Millers, Swift, etc. for mostly trout but also do pike trips as well.  Another good one in the same area is Chris Jackson.  If you want one for the Farmington in CT I'd call Up Country and they can connect you with a host of different guides.  Further down in CT you can target more varied species like carp, smallies, as well as trout and pike and I'd recommend a younger guy Rowan Little.  He just had Tom Rosenbauer out and they slayed massive carp.  Jon can recommend some in PA and there is Master Class Angling if you are looking to go up to Champlain which has amazing variety.
Thanks for the input, a lot of those names sound familiar as I've been doing a good amount of research on google, all of them pretty much have great reviews from newbies to experienced fly guys. I live in Northern RI so Mass would make more sense, but don't mind driving further. There was one that seems to fish the swift a lot as well, I heard that river does well in the heat of the summer too. I have a place in NH as well but unless I'm missing something there doesn't seem to be as many guides in that area as I thought. Those white mountain streams have definitely humbled me lol.

But anyways, I think I have a great fathers day gift now we'll both enjoy once I nail something down. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to this thread in the next couple months.
_Icecold_ on the shanty

BassMaster12

« Reply #831 on: Today at 09:47 AM »
That's exactly what my old man and I did last year. 2 days with a guide at Grand Lake Stream in Maine probably was equivalent to 4 years of fumbling around. Worth every penny.
Thanks Jethro, that's what my thoughts were. Hopefully help us correct new "bad habits" and gain some more knowledge.
_Icecold_ on the shanty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.