FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Quick try for some Walleye  (Read 1691 times)

stripernut

Quick try for some Walleye
« on: Dec 10, 2023, 05:28 AM »
I only had a few hours but last night the weather was mild so I ran out to the Conn. River to see if I could get some Walleye. As I arrived I watched a fellow angler land one so my hopes were high! I had even picked up some shiners after getting schooled by a kid with them on my last trip. Shiners or not, not a tap, and the guy that had landed one when I got there only landed one more walleye and it was the same fish he had landed about a half hour earlier! I did bring my Garmin Striker Cast as every time I fish one of these big "pools" I wonder if there are fish in that section today. A castable sonar transducer that is connected to your device (phone, tablet, etc.) with Bluetooth I have been finding it a great tool to see what is going on below... Well after working over the area with it, I found there was very little in the way of fish in the area... Still a great evening out, to try and get an elusive Mass Walleye (at least for me) it is always hit or miss...

Fishracks

Re: Quick try for some Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2023, 09:26 AM »
I made a trip to the river as well i was just thinking about calling it after 6 hours of nothing when about 8pm i ended up with 4 fish in about 1-1/2 hours bigest was 21-1/2" granted I've only been chasing these eyes for 4 years or so i still haven't even come close to figuring them out yet lol
crazy fish i think that's why i like fishing for them so much well that and there delicious

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2023, 11:46 AM »
Nice! I have never been that comfortable eating fish out of the Conn River, just too many things over many years have been dropped in that river. Not looking for your spot, but what "section" are you fishing? Boat? Shore? What did you get them on?

Fishracks

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2023, 07:41 PM »
I was up in Northfield i fished from shore and caught on live shiners and i don't worry too much about eating fish out of there because i don't fish it much i actually have better luck fishing in some of the lakes in CT and VT for eyes I'm hoping to make it up to Chaumont bay in NY again this winter last winter ice was terrible saw a guy go thru on a machine and that was it for me for the winter

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Thats a pretty impressive haul for MA walleye standards.  I don't think I'd be too worried about eating fish up that way especially if it isn't too frequent.  Nice work!  Chaumont Bay has interested me for a bit too.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Fishracks

« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2023, 01:33 PM »
Definitely was pure luck happen to be in the right place at the right time i have caught 1 or 2 before in that spot but nothing like other night over and done pretty quick too
If you can make it up to Chaumont i would highly recommend going the first week or two in January if the ice is good or wait till the last week of the season in March when bite picks up again February can be slow for eyes at least for me

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2023, 01:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, you are probably perfectly fine eat them from the river, but for me the thought is in the back of my mind... I have always wanted to fish out that way, maybe we can get a small group to go together?

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2023, 10:21 PM »
BRB > Chaumont but you need really good ice for it.

Nice eyes.

filetandrelease

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2023, 04:35 AM »
BRB > Chaumont but you need really good ice for it.

Nice eyes.
Keep an eye on chaumount bay hardware ice reports ,
 Far as BRB use extreme caution

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2023, 07:31 AM »
Keep an eye on chaumount bay hardware ice reports ,
 Far as BRB use extreme caution

I dont know whats more dangerous there the ice or the territorial locals! 

filetandrelease

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2023, 09:31 AM »
I dont know whats more dangerous there the ice or the territorial locals!
I’ve fished all those locations for decades and never had an issue
 I think Oneida fits that bill a little more
 Than northern waters I’ve had taken grief several times over the years by Richard Craniums 😃

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2023, 01:04 PM »
You fit in Fred! 

KingPerch

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2023, 06:59 PM »
Chamount can be good one day, bad the next. Ice conditions that is. Especially… with the ice conditions the way they’ve been the past few years.  BRB is a whole different animal in itself!!!
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

stripernut

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2023, 07:13 PM »
Looking at maps and videos, Chamount looks like a long walk without a ride...

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2023, 07:18 AM »
Chamount can be good one day, bad the next. Ice conditions that is. Especially… with the ice conditions the way they’ve been the past few years.  BRB is a whole different animal in itself!!!

I liked BRB.  Its been a couple years, Id like to go back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.