FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 518664 times)

taxid

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #4410 on: Aug 10, 2021, 02:31 PM »
Tax are you sure that’s sweet corn and not cow corn???

Not supposed to be Cow corn.  It's this one:

https://www.reimerseeds.com/truckers-favorite-yellow-corn.aspx
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4411 on: Aug 12, 2021, 04:45 PM »
I'm not sure if I will bother to push my corn back up and stake it after the lastest severe thunderstorm and high winds. For the last few days we've been averaging two severe storms a day and a cold front is scheduled to hit later today.

I think I'm done with trying the raise sweet corn. Just too windy here. I also had issues last year with shorter corn. Sweet corn is plentiful here in Indiana and reasonable so I will concentrate my efforts on other crops.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4412 on: Aug 13, 2021, 08:14 AM »
The bigger they are…the harder they fall..I guess. Think I’ll get some corn for the grill later.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #4413 on: Aug 13, 2021, 08:22 AM »
The bigger they are…the harder they fall..I guess. Think I’ll get some corn for the grill later.

True but not sure it matters here with corn due to the shallow roots. Just too many strong storms in summer.  I think friends in Michigan north of me are still without power with one that has a tree fallen in her yard.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4414 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:21 PM »
Hope it calms down for you. We were supposed to get some storms today. Not a drop so far.
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishinator

« Reply #4415 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:33 PM »
Not sure what this thing is? Octo-gourd? Star-kin? It started growing out of my compost pile. Seeds from hybrid plants produce some funny things.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4416 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Yikes! That’s an alien looking thing.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4417 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:50 PM »
Could be an octopus gourd of sorts.. See if the legs get longer.. 
 Will make a nice fall decoration.. ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4418 on: Aug 15, 2021, 09:33 AM »
Did a bunch of gardening this morning. Had to corral my beans. They were getting out of control. Re-planted the trough planter with radishes and spinach.got the 3 empty potato  beds straightened out. Two  will be my garlic beds this fall. Thinking of putting some carrots in one for a fall crop.

Still getting cukes and tomatoes every day. Sure gonna miss fresh tomatoes this winter.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4419 on: Aug 15, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Nice Bob..
 Watered for 3 hours this morning and hope to fish this afternoon..
 Way to early for mums to have this much color on them now…

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4420 on: Aug 15, 2021, 02:01 PM »
Talk about watering

I have to get some pics of the irrigation system in operation. We pump from the main pond. Haven’t been in the pump house yet, but the pump has to be a monster. When they fire off the fairway heads there’s as many as a dozen shooting water 75 yards. It’s impressive.

I’ll tell you though…pond water this time of year smells pretty ripe.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4421 on: Aug 15, 2021, 02:20 PM »
Our dripper lines run off a pond.  There’s a big filter in between that has to be cleaned a couple times a week.
You can smell the pond water.  But we don’t have geese pooping in the pond. Just bass and blue gills.. ;) 

The rest is done by hand pumped out of a 2000 gallon tank that gets filled by wells..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4422 on: Aug 15, 2021, 04:18 PM »
Geese are nothing but feathered rats. The club used to get nuisance permits. But the tree hugging membership put a stop to it. They make an unbelievable mess and chew the hell out of otherwise beautiful approaches and fairways. The possums and skunks do a number on them too. Digging holes all over the place looking for worms I guess. Stupid “forever wild” designation.

We chased 50 or more down the fairway after blowing off greens this morning.

taxid

« Reply #4423 on: Aug 15, 2021, 08:12 PM »
Talk about watering

I have to get some pics of the irrigation system in operation. We pump from the main pond. Haven’t been in the pump house yet, but the pump has to be a monster. When they fire off the fairway heads there’s as many as a dozen shooting water 75 yards. It’s impressive.

I’ll tell you though…pond water this time of year smells pretty ripe.

I'm sure the grass likes it though.

taxid

« Reply #4424 on: Aug 15, 2021, 08:16 PM »
I know I should have probably left it alone but I staked back up my corn that got beat to hell by a severe storm on Thursday. I also ran some lines of rope between some of the rows for extra support. Took me a day and a half. My back is sore! No sweet corn planted next year! Not worth the trouble, and it's plentiful and cheap locally. After all I live in Indiana.

Holy batman they really soaked me for 48 eight foot one by two furring strips, which I made into stakes! Lumber is still high!

Before:

After:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.