FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: i need a new reel any suggestions  (Read 2706 times)

svnative

i need a new reel any suggestions
« on: Aug 15, 2011, 09:33 PM »
my old reels just aren't doin it anymore i need a reel that can handle salmon fishin but i want somethin i can also bass fish with any suggestions would be much appreciated post links if you would like thank you

bigreel

Re: i need a new reel any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:10 AM »
are you talking small land locked salmon and lmb. or you talk`n lake ontairo salmon,
and striper size bass, ?

svnative

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2011, 11:23 AM »
somethin i could use for fishin the river for salmon but could get away with in locale lakes to catch large mouth and small mouth im just looking for a reel i could changes rods for the place im fishin

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:25 PM »
You want a spinning reel or bait caster?
tight lines....

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Shimano stradic if you can spend $150.  Okuma avenger isn't bad for $50.

svnative

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:52 PM »
spinning reel

svnative

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2011, 12:58 PM »
i was thinkin maybe a pflueger president anyone have one let me know what ya think of it and i also need a new rod for salmon whats a good rod?

TheDL

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2011, 01:08 PM »
svnative - that's funny.  That would have been my next post (pflugler presedent) if you said spinning.  I never use bait casters, but I picked up 2 identical pflugler presedent (6730 I think) and put one on a 7' shimano compre med/fast rod, and one on a 7ft abu garcia veritas med/fast rod.  Those reels are just as good as teh reviews say....I can't believe how smooth they are, they are light, and teh drag works like a dream.  I haven't beat mine up too bad yet (did take them out in early april, cold water fishing) and I use them about 3-5 times per week for bass, pike, walleye, and panfish.  I have no complaints and I'd be surpirsed if you found a better reel for the money.  There's probably nicer ones in teh $200+ range...but I have yet to find a short-coming on those reels.  Go buy one, you'll love it!
tight lines....

TheDL

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I've never fished salmon...you talking landlocked or big-water?
tight lines....

svnative

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2011, 02:42 PM »
Big water and my friend suggested the president to me  he said he has caught every thing from 30 pound cats and salmon to 4 pound small mouth  so i think i might go buy a couple of them hahaah

TheDL

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2011, 03:27 PM »
you won't be disappointed, get the larger model for the big water fishing, you should be fine.  They come with a 2nd spool too which is nice for switching line strength quickly.  I love mine, 2 reels, 4 spools = very versatile
tight lines....

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2011, 03:36 PM »
fishusa.com has rod/reel combos for salmon.  The presidents aren't a bad reel for the money.  A little on the heavy side, but the drag is pretty smooth.  You could get one of those and a browning six rivers 8-11 ft noodle rod.

svnative

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2011, 07:46 PM »
yea i think a noodle rod would be the way to go

skinnybenny

« Reply #13 on: Aug 18, 2011, 10:11 AM »
I Got sick of buying new reels every year and the only reel i have found to cure me from the illness is the shimano stradic they last for ever and the drags are perfect alll the time and the reel itself is a peice of cake to clean and lube plus it works in saltwater and fresh water  i think cabelas has the non carbon fiber ones for 129 and the carbon ones are 199

icedd

« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2011, 11:33 AM »
I bought two. President 6370 there great got some good strpers on them spring no problems

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.